Way2slow

Harmonica players, do we have any?

How many harp players, if any, do we have, and are you any good?  For some stupid reason, at almost 71 years old, I decided learning to play one would be a good idea.  I've been huffing a puffing on the thing for about three weeks now and the frustration level hasn't gone down one Iota.

Back when I was about 15, I bought one and started learning to play it, but back then, if it wasn't something I could learn in a short time, other things took it's place, so between getting interest in girls, school, working, fishing, bootlegging (I was driving and had my own car at 15, a $10 1948 Ford) and other things, life put that thing on the shelf till now.  Needless to say, now my muscle memory comes much slower and short term memory sucks.

For now, I'm trying to learn single note tabs that I find on the computer that has someone playing them so I can listen.  About done wore Moon River and Amazing Grace slap out and sounds like total s***.  Absolutely no rhythm or beat, just sharp sounding notes.

Since I'm not much on socializing and make friends that easily, don't know anyone else that plays so the internet is my main (only) source of guidance. 

If anyone thinks they can give constructive advice, other than just keep trying, it would really be appreciated.

For a harp, I started with a Fender Blues DeVille in C.  I like the way it plays, but don't like it's sound and then the #6 blow started sounding funky, so I bought a Lee Oscar Major in C this past Tuesday, but after playing it for a couple of days, I didn't like the feel of it in my mouth.  It was thinner than the Fender I was used to and could not get comfortable with it.  So, now I have a Marine Band Crossover in C.  That one feels very similar to the Fender and plays really easy.  Sucks all three are the same key, but that's what all the beginner tabs and demo's seem to be written for.

Its something I want to lear as well.  The clint black song "state of mind" with the harmonica solo in the beginning made me want to learn. I like a lot of old blues music from some of the old harmonica guys like sonny boy William's. I play a little acoustic guitar and could listen to eric Clapton playing acoustic blues music all day long.