PaneraiMan

Ugly Stick and Penn Combo Rods with Reels worth considering?

Since both of my Berkley Lightning and Cherrywood HD rods had guides rust and break both fitted with freshwater Sienna 2500 reels I wanted to look into saltwater rods and reels to buy. I already bought the 8" Tsunami rod/reel at Walmart for $30 to just try surf and jetty fishing in New Smyrna Beach and just wanted to get something longer but at the same time better.

From all I read Ugly Stick GX2, Big Water or Inshore rods are good but the Shakespeare reels that are on those as a combo are not too good but I am sure much better than that $30 combo rod I bought at Walmart which was not too bad at all so far. The Penn combos are the oposite, the Penn Battle II combos are $110-130 but those rods Penn includes in those combos are not that good, and Pursuit II & III reels are flimsy for $70 combo. I found combos from both makers on Amazon, Walmart, Dick's, Bass Pro and other box stores and was wondering what I should do as they seem to be good deals to me.

I was thinking of getting Ugly Stick GX2 6'6 or 7' M rod to replace my Berkleys as a smaller rod I can also use for Bass and of the Pier and then to also get Surf/jetty/inshore rod that is 8-10" M or MH to through 4-6oz sinkers at the beach fitted with 5000/6000 reel size. 

Also Penn seem to include 7000 or 8000 reels in their longer Pursuit and Battle Combos with 8-10" rods which is an overkill and I do not want anything over 6000 size, ideally a 5000. I want to also be able to take this rod to fish on the charter boat offshore when I go later this month.

Please suggest me and guide me in the right direction. I am an almost 40 male that has been fishing 2 years.

So you're looking for two things right?

1) A heavy combo for saltwater surf fishing that is better than a $30 Walmart Combo

2) A new spinning rod to pair up with a Sienna 2500

What's your budget for each?

2 hours ago, Junger said:

So you're looking for two things right?

1) A heavy combo for saltwater surf fishing that is better than a $30 Walmart Combo

2) A new spinning rod to pair up with a Sienna 2500

What's your budget for each?

Thanks. Yes that is correct. Unless I can get away with ugly stick gx2 combo with Shakespeare reel