Carolina Rig

2006 Skeeter 21i w/ Yamaha 250 hpdi

Good Morning,

I have a line on a boat that I'm considering purchasing.  It already has Talons on it and the electronics have been upgraded; but, that was several years ago and they aren't currently top of the line.  I believe it has the ability to spot lock and comes with a tandem axle/fiberglass fender trailer.

The motor is the original motor that came with the boat and has about 450 hours on it.

I'm curious what folks think about a rig like this?  I have never bought a used boat so I'd planned to go out for a ride in it and also run it by a dealership for a thorough looking-over.

Is anyone familiar with this year/model?  Anyone familiar with this motor (looks like a VMAX)?  Any words of caution/advice?  I haven't been in a bass boat in years so I'm all ears when it comes to buying a used one after not having paid any attention to them in so long.

Thanks in advance...

Could write a book on a response to your question.  The Skeeter is a good boat assuming it has been taken care of.  Seats/Carpet/Bilge are all areas to check out.  You will find those who love and those who hate Skeeters.  It's a personal preference.  I spent a lot of time in the exact rig you are looking at.  My current Ranger is a 2005 model with that same Yamaha.  The motor is a good one with those hours on it.  There were an abnormal amount of failures with the big block HPDI's with the #2 cylinder leaning out and popping.  Issues supposedly corrected in the next generation that bear the label "Series 2" on the cowl.  Mine has close to 500 hours and is on the original powerhead and Lower Unit.  I have had no problems but they do require regular maintenance and they have a LOT of filters and pumps that can fail and do require maintenance.  That motor will be a little thirsty on gas and oil but it's bearable.  Run mid-grade, ethanol free (if you can find it) with Yammalube and Ring free.  If you are serious, I would have the motor compression checked and a leakdown test performed.  Ask some specific questions and I'll try to answer.  Also don't forget the trailer because without it you won't get to the lake.  Tires/Bearings/Axles all need to be checked.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the detailed response!  I’m hoping to go take a look at it next weekend and will be sure to hit you up with questions between now and then.

Forgot to add, if your Trolling motor has "Spot Lock" then it is an upgraded model from what came on it originally.  Your call on the Talons.  I have Powerpoles but another personal preference.  Just make sure everything works.  Electronics, pumps, livewells, lights, gauges, have him run it up to top speed (or close to it) to make sure the motor handles under load.  Look at the bottom of the hull for any real damage beyond normal scuffs and scrapes.  Anything with the glass mat showing is not good.  

Sounds good.  We’re supposed to take it out next weekend.

It’s a friend of a friend that I really trust and he told me he knows the owner and can assure me the boat has been meticulously maintained.

I did find out that the owner intends to keep the Ultrex that’s currently on it and put the original trolling motor that came with the boat back on it before he sells.