billmac

Buying a used bass boat

Hi everyone,

I want to buy my first bass boat and I've been looking through Craigslist.  There are a lot of options. I'm not going to be a tournament fisherman, I just want a good fishing boat to take out with friends, kids and grandkids.  I'll probably be on smaller waters most of the time.  I really just want to spend a few thousand dollars at most.

Here's my main question: I'm seeing a lot of older boats, 70s and up.  They look fine to me.  Is there a particular trouble spot or danger with getting an older bass boat?  If the boat itself doesn't leak, I would think the only real trouble spot might be the motor.  Any reason I shouldn't get a boat from the 70s, 80s, 90s, etc?

Thanks,

Bill

• Like 1

Motor

Transom

Floors

are the big concerns

Lots of boats in that area were made of a lot of wood. If the wood gets water logged (stringers or transom) it’s integrity is compromised fast.

Looking for a glass or aluminum boat or have you decided yet?

I JUST went thru 6 mos of searching and it just drove me nuts.   To be honest I didn't want to spend any money but I did, it was one of those deals where I was able to buy a brand new boat at 2/3rd the cost...  

With that said,  Aluminum, all welded is a good start.  Needless to say, right now is the best time to buy.  Don't discount the Market Place on Face Book and local sale groups.

BTW Bass Tracker is selling what is called "Classic" model which is 16' with 50 hp 4 stroke Merc for $9,900

Give a little more information on what type of boat you are looking for.  Size, construction, type of motor, etc. 

I honestly don't have a firm type in mind.  Standing platform, livewell, trolling motor, depth finder, that's really the only must haves.  I'm not sure I have a preference for glass or aluminum.  I'm fairly handy, so I can probably handle any maintenance except the outboard.

It looks like the Tracker Classic is up to 11K.

Any thoughts on Smoker Craft boats? I'm looking at a Magnum 142 for about $1500.

5 hours ago, billmac said:

It looks like the Tracker Classic is up to 11K.

You can get a whole lot more boat used for that price.

• Like 1

So a little research has helped me narrow things down a little bit.

Since I'm looking at mostly smaller waters and the fact that I don't have a pickup truck, I should probably be looking at an aluminum boat.  I have a student who has been active in youth bass clubs and he said 17' or less will be considerably cheaper than 18' or greater.

I have a buddy with a smoker craft, not sure the model. He loves it and can fish him and his 3 boys outta it. I’d say take any boat for a test run on a lake

6 hours ago, billmac said:

So a little research has helped me narrow things down a little bit.

Since I'm looking at mostly smaller waters and the fact that I don't have a pickup truck, I should probably be looking at an aluminum boat.  I have a student who has been active in youth bass clubs and he said 17' or less will be considerably cheaper than 18' or greater.

It all depends on what you can find on craigslist. Fiberglass is heavier than aluminum. A brand new Canoe (3 seater) maybe your best bet. You can put the canoe on top of a car with Two 1" universal cylinder rods with moving tie downs. I have videos on my channel to show you my set-ups. utube.com/njfishing1

I sold 2 boats before my current set-up (I own 3 boats currently).

boat #1 - plastic canoe 14' from BJ (sits 3) with Minn Kota 30 lbs - perfect for small water, I used to take my kids in the canoe and now I use it to fish in 40 acres lake without boat ramp. Electric motor only.

boat #2 - Native Slayer propel 10' kayak - this is hands free single seat when I don't have friends to fish with. I need to travel to fish in electric motors only lakes. Did take it out to Cheasapeake bay once but very risky. Big waves  can tip you over in a hurry even though it is a super stable boat.

boat #3 - 1974 wellcraft airslot sport 165 open bow boat - bought it from ebay cheap. I have a 1982 Johnson 90 hp with Honda 8 hp kicker motor and motorguide 75 pounds trolling motor to fish the Potomac river and Cheasapeake bay.

The 2 boats I sold were 16 feet boat with Suzuki 25 hp and 80 pounds 24 volts trolling motor and 13 feet Malibu with electric motor. Both were fiberglass on trailers. So, I use my Nissan Pathfinder to tow my big boats.   

njfishing1.png

boat.jpg

here is the big boat