Just Ordered a new SLX 150HG to put on a buzzbait/chatterbait/swim jig/whopper plopper rod, maybe lipless cranks too. I'm looking to get a St. Croix rod to put it on, and I have narrowed my options down to 

-Mojo Spinnerbait  7MHMF

-Bass X 74MHMF

I handled the Mojo model in bass pro and was very impressed, but it wouldn't be a good plopper 110 rod, as the max rating is on 3/4 ounce.  I've heard some good things about that bass X model but was wondering if anyone here had any thoughts.  I'v been using an older bionic blade for these techniques but after getting some nicer equipment recently I really don't care for the balance or guides on that rod.  

I have that model of Bass X.  Love it!  I use it for anything that moves 3/8- 1 and 3/4

According to this thread it looks like people are liking the mojo quite a bit more than the bass x. I have only fished a mojo inshore so I really won’t be much help except say that the mojo inshore felt good.

6 hours ago, LionHeart said:

I have that model of Bass X.  Love it!  I use it for anything that moves 3/8- 1 and 3/4

How is the balance of the rod? I'd expect a 7'4'' $110 rod to be tip heavy, but for tip down presentations it shouldn't matter a whole lot.  What reel do you pair it with?

I may not be the best person to ask.  I'm not one to get too concerned with the balance of a rod.  Having said that, if a rod is tip heavy enough for me to notice, I won't buy it.

The Lews TP-1 series comes to mind.  I personally would not put the Bass X into the tip heavy category, or at least not the rod in question.  It has a decent handle length so that may come into play with the balance.

I've had a Shimano Calcutta, a Lews Tournament MB, and finally a Diawa Tatula 100 on the rod, and have used it for a wild array of techniques.

It is what I consider to be a true moderate fast tip, which makes it able to do well at most things.  I mostly use it for 3/8+ spinner baits, whopper ploppers, buzz baits, chatter baits, 5,6, and 8xd's. 3/8 is pretty much its low end though.  A 3/8 spinner bait with basically any trailer and it casts very well.

6 minutes ago, LionHeart said:

I may not be the best person to ask.  I'm not one to get too concerned with the balance of a rod.  Having said that, if a rod is tip heavy enough for me to notice, I won't buy it.

The Lews TP-1 series comes to mind.  I personally would not put the Bass X into the tip heavy category, or at least not the rod in question.  It has a decent handle length so that may come into play with the balance.

I've had a Shimano Calcutta, a Lews Tournament MB, and finally a Diawa Tatula 100 on the rod, and have used it for a wild array of techniques.

It is what I consider to be a true moderate fast tip, which makes it able to do well at most things.  I mostly use it for 3/8+ spinner baits, whopper ploppers, buzz baits, chatter baits, 5,6, and 8xd's. 3/8 is pretty much its low end though.  A 3/8 spinner bait with basically any trailer and it casts very well.

Sounds like exactly what I am looking for to complement my 6'9'' TCS spinnerbait rod.  Might save me from buying a mid-deep cranking rod as well.  What line do you  prefer to run with the rod?

Using 30 lb Power Pro and 15 lb Big Game mono as a leader.  Totally happy with it.

It makes an excellent 5 + XD rod.

7 minutes ago, LionHeart said:

Using 30 lb Power Pro and 15 lb Big Game mono as a leader.  Totally happy with it.

It makes an excellent 5 + XD rod.

Sweet.  Do you think the MF could handle some 3/8 jigs or texas rigged craws/worms if need be?

That's pretty subjective because a lot of people like a super fast tip for jigs (I am not one of them)  IMO it will without a doubt work for jigs. 

I used it for jigs 3/8 and 1/2 quite a bit when I first got it and it was up to the job.  Although I'd recommend braid if you plan to bury a 5/0 jig hook at the end of a long cast.  Mono and flouro have too much stretch to pull that off IMO.

3 hours ago, LionHeart said:

That's pretty subjective because a lot of people like a super fast tip for jigs (I am not one of them)  IMO it will without a doubt work for jigs. 

I used it for jigs 3/8 and 1/2 quite a bit when I first got it and it was up to the job.  Although I'd recommend braid if you plan to bury a 5/0 jig hook at the end of a long cast.  Mono and flouro have too much stretch to pull that off IMO.

Yea, it will  be primarily be for moving baits, maybe texas rigs if I was trying to keep my rod selection to a minimum while bank or kayak/canoe fishing.  Do you think it would handle paddletail swimbaits well too?

I really don't toss swim baits often.  Really depends on the weight.  As long as the total weight is  at least 3/8, absolutely.  

The Mojo Bass spinnerbait rod is not a bad choice for moving baits. It's on the stiffer side for cranks, but manageable.

I've used a Daiwa Tatula 7'2" MH/MF glass rod for these presentations myself and haven't lost many fish on it. The action is overall fairly similar to the Mojo Bass spinnerbait rod.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Boomstick said:

The Mojo Bass spinnerbait rod is not a bad choice for moving baits. It's on the stiffer side for cranks, but manageable.

I've used a Daiwa Tatula 7'2" MH/MF glass rod for these presentations myself and haven't lost many fish on it. The action is overall fairly similar to the Mojo Bass spinnerbait rod.

Tried a glass rod once and I absolutely hated it.  I believe you about the Mojo, I'm just leaning towards the Bass X because it will handle heavier baits.

16 hours ago, newyorktoiowa57 said:

Tried a glass rod once and I absolutely hated it.  I believe you about the Mojo, I'm just leaning towards the Bass X because it will handle heavier baits.

What did you hate about it, the weight or lack of sensitivity? The lack of sensitivity is not an issue with the Tatula -- vibrations are muted but still I feel everything, even things I can't feel on my son's Mojo Bass spinnerbait rod.

On 1/23/2019 at 9:35 AM, Boomstick said:

What did you hate about it, the weight or lack of sensitivity? The lack of sensitivity is not an issue with the Tatula -- vibrations are muted but still I feel everything, even things I can't feel on my son's Mojo Bass spinnerbait rod.

I had a tatula LT medium heavy 7' glass rod.  I thought the weight and balance were terrible.

6 hours ago, newyorktoiowa57 said:

I had a tatula LT medium heavy 7' glass rod.  I thought the weight and balance were terrible.

I think you mean the XT? Surprising, I have no issues at all with balance on the Tatula and I'd assume the XT would be similar, it is a little heavier but doesn't bother me. I guess if it's weight though, stick to graphite.