Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Just Ordered a new SLX 150HG to put on a buzzbait/chatterbait/swim jig/whopper plopper rod, maybe lipless cranks too. I'm looking to get a St. Croix rod to put it on, and I have narrowed my options down to 

-Mojo Spinnerbait  7MHMF

-Bass X 74MHMF

 

I handled the Mojo model in bass pro and was very impressed, but it wouldn't be a good plopper 110 rod, as the max rating is on 3/4 ounce.  I've heard some good things about that bass X model but was wondering if anyone here had any thoughts.  I'v been using an older bionic blade for these techniques but after getting some nicer equipment recently I really don't care for the balance or guides on that rod.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have that model of Bass X.  Love it!  I use it for anything that moves 3/8- 1 and 3/4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to this thread it looks like people are liking the mojo quite a bit more than the bass x. I have only fished a mojo inshore so I really won’t be much help except say that the mojo inshore felt good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LionHeart said:

I have that model of Bass X.  Love it!  I use it for anything that moves 3/8- 1 and 3/4

How is the balance of the rod? I'd expect a 7'4'' $110 rod to be tip heavy, but for tip down presentations it shouldn't matter a whole lot.  What reel do you pair it with?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I may not be the best person to ask.  I'm not one to get too concerned with the balance of a rod.  Having said that, if a rod is tip heavy enough for me to notice, I won't buy it.

 

The Lews TP-1 series comes to mind.  I personally would not put the Bass X into the tip heavy category, or at least not the rod in question.  It has a decent handle length so that may come into play with the balance.

 

I've had a Shimano Calcutta, a Lews Tournament MB, and finally a Diawa Tatula 100 on the rod, and have used it for a wild array of techniques.

 

It is what I consider to be a true moderate fast tip, which makes it able to do well at most things.  I mostly use it for 3/8+ spinner baits, whopper ploppers, buzz baits, chatter baits, 5,6, and 8xd's. 3/8 is pretty much its low end though.  A 3/8 spinner bait with basically any trailer and it casts very well.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, LionHeart said:

I may not be the best person to ask.  I'm not one to get too concerned with the balance of a rod.  Having said that, if a rod is tip heavy enough for me to notice, I won't buy it.

 

The Lews TP-1 series comes to mind.  I personally would not put the Bass X into the tip heavy category, or at least not the rod in question.  It has a decent handle length so that may come into play with the balance.

 

I've had a Shimano Calcutta, a Lews Tournament MB, and finally a Diawa Tatula 100 on the rod, and have used it for a wild array of techniques.

 

It is what I consider to be a true moderate fast tip, which makes it able to do well at most things.  I mostly use it for 3/8+ spinner baits, whopper ploppers, buzz baits, chatter baits, 5,6, and 8xd's. 3/8 is pretty much its low end though.  A 3/8 spinner bait with basically any trailer and it casts very well.

 

 

Sounds like exactly what I am looking for to complement my 6'9'' TCS spinnerbait rod.  Might save me from buying a mid-deep cranking rod as well.  What line do you  prefer to run with the rod?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Using 30 lb Power Pro and 15 lb Big Game mono as a leader.  Totally happy with it.

 

It makes an excellent 5 + XD rod.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, LionHeart said:

Using 30 lb Power Pro and 15 lb Big Game mono as a leader.  Totally happy with it.

 

It makes an excellent 5 + XD rod.

 

Sweet.  Do you think the MF could handle some 3/8 jigs or texas rigged craws/worms if need be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's pretty subjective because a lot of people like a super fast tip for jigs (I am not one of them)  IMO it will without a doubt work for jigs. 

 

I used it for jigs 3/8 and 1/2 quite a bit when I first got it and it was up to the job.  Although I'd recommend braid if you plan to bury a 5/0 jig hook at the end of a long cast.  Mono and flouro have too much stretch to pull that off IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LionHeart said:

That's pretty subjective because a lot of people like a super fast tip for jigs (I am not one of them)  IMO it will without a doubt work for jigs. 

 

I used it for jigs 3/8 and 1/2 quite a bit when I first got it and it was up to the job.  Although I'd recommend braid if you plan to bury a 5/0 jig hook at the end of a long cast.  Mono and flouro have too much stretch to pull that off IMO.

Yea, it will  be primarily be for moving baits, maybe texas rigs if I was trying to keep my rod selection to a minimum while bank or kayak/canoe fishing.  Do you think it would handle paddletail swimbaits well too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really don't toss swim baits often.  Really depends on the weight.  As long as the total weight is  at least 3/8, absolutely.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Mojo Bass spinnerbait rod is not a bad choice for moving baits. It's on the stiffer side for cranks, but manageable.

 

I've used a Daiwa Tatula 7'2" MH/MF glass rod for these presentations myself and haven't lost many fish on it. The action is overall fairly similar to the Mojo Bass spinnerbait rod.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Boomstick said:

The Mojo Bass spinnerbait rod is not a bad choice for moving baits. It's on the stiffer side for cranks, but manageable.

 

I've used a Daiwa Tatula 7'2" MH/MF glass rod for these presentations myself and haven't lost many fish on it. The action is overall fairly similar to the Mojo Bass spinnerbait rod.

Tried a glass rod once and I absolutely hated it.  I believe you about the Mojo, I'm just leaning towards the Bass X because it will handle heavier baits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, newyorktoiowa57 said:

Tried a glass rod once and I absolutely hated it.  I believe you about the Mojo, I'm just leaning towards the Bass X because it will handle heavier baits.

What did you hate about it, the weight or lack of sensitivity? The lack of sensitivity is not an issue with the Tatula -- vibrations are muted but still I feel everything, even things I can't feel on my son's Mojo Bass spinnerbait rod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2019 at 9:35 AM, Boomstick said:

What did you hate about it, the weight or lack of sensitivity? The lack of sensitivity is not an issue with the Tatula -- vibrations are muted but still I feel everything, even things I can't feel on my son's Mojo Bass spinnerbait rod.

I had a tatula LT medium heavy 7' glass rod.  I thought the weight and balance were terrible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, newyorktoiowa57 said:

I had a tatula LT medium heavy 7' glass rod.  I thought the weight and balance were terrible.

I think you mean the XT? Surprising, I have no issues at all with balance on the Tatula and I'd assume the XT would be similar, it is a little heavier but doesn't bother me. I guess if it's weight though, stick to graphite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing poles

    fishing poles

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...