Quarry Man

The 48 and Water Clarity

Ok so one of my confidence baits is becoming the Neko rig. I threw it when I was a beginner and only used seniors. it was the third technique I used. I find myself picking it up when I am throwing a drop shot or wacky rig. Basically I use it when its too deep for wacky rigging and too shallow for drop shot.

I am going to spend more time developing the technique this year, and I pick up 3 packs of Missile Baits the 48. I got green pumpkin, watermelon red, and bruiser flash (basically a glittery black/blue). I understand that black and blue is for very dirty water, but when do I throw one of the other two over the other?

edit: forgot to mention that my home lakes average 4-8 feet where I throw the Neko rig and water clarity is about 3-4'ish.

Edited by Quarry Man

Water clarity is relative to the specific body of water. If your lake is normally 3'-4' viz, I'd say that's pretty clear, and all of those colors should work just fine. But please understand that black/blue is not strictly for dirty water! My local lake is normally 4'-6'viz, and black/blue is my bread and butter! It's just that black typically contrasts well in dark and dirty water, thus it is the usual dirty water color for most fishermen.

The green pump, and watermelon should fish just fine in the conditions you stated. I notice that the greens begin to lose their effectiveness once I lose clarity at about 1'-2'. Some other things to consider is the make-up of the bottom, and the amount of sunlight. Experiment with those colors, and keep track of conditions when you are successful.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, IgotWood said:

Water clarity is relative to the specific body of water. If your lake is normally 3'-4' viz, I'd say that's pretty clear, and all of those colors should work just fine. But please understand that black/blue is not strictly for dirty water! My local lake is normally 4'-6'viz, and black/blue is my bread and butter! It's just that black typically contrasts well in dark and dirty water, thus it is the usual dirty water color for most fishermen.

The green pump, and watermelon should fish just fine in the conditions you stated. I notice that the greens begin to lose their effectiveness once I lose clarity at about 1'-2'. Some other things to consider is the make-up of the bottom, and the amount of sunlight. Experiment with those colors, and keep track of conditions when you are successful.

Thanks for the input. I agree that black and blue can be used elsewhere, although I don’t do that. Believe it or not, dark purple/ June bug is the best color on my lakes!

I try and throw the neko rig around rocky banks