MattDuprau

Lake Champlain Spring Bass

Hey guys,

I used to be quite active on this site, but my login credentials slipped my mind so I had to make a new account. Anyways, my tournament partner and I are planning a trip south of the border in the spring to Lake Champlain. I've spent a day or so researching the body of water, studying the lake maps and watching videos. We primarily only want to target largemouth. Im torn between where to start on this massive body of water. There are quite a few of great coves with secondary points and structure leading into the bays, but from what i've read, the largemouth fishing is primarily better in the south end of the lake? (Ticonderaga). We're aiming for pre spawn, and ive read mostly this area of the lake is dirty, muddy and silty, which I attribute to being not so good for the spawn. Having said that, bass season begins here in Ontario pretty well after the spawn, so im just going off of what I read. Ill be the first to say im not the most educated on pre-spawn fish. Im just wondering what peoples thoughts are on where we should fish, and what sort of structure/cover we should key in on? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks a ton,

Matt

Matt.  I have the same question.  I’m heading up at the end of May.   My plan is to hire a guide on my first day and basically hit the same areas the following days.   Please post how you did and good luck.  

We usually launch out of Crown Pointe launch.  The south end will be fine.  I once took a chance on running up north in a tournament, and it was a waste of time, without doing some serious pre fishing.  On the south end, really just look for a good shoreline that looks bassy on the map.  The eastern shoreline south of ferry crossing was always a productive area.  It's such a good lake, there aren't really any bad spots.  Prespawn is pretty typical.  Look for areas near deep water with good spawning flats nearby. 

Check the state regs.  I don't want to be a wet blanket, and perhaps I'm wrong, but I think it is illegal to specifically target bass before the season begins in NY.  

20 hours ago, billmac said:

Check the state regs.  I don't want to be a wet blanket, and perhaps I'm wrong, but I think it is illegal to specifically target bass before the season begins in NY.  

Lake Champlain is catch and release.

http://www.eregulations.com/newyork/fishing/lake-georgelake-champlain-regulations/

Good to know. Thanks.

Champlain aside from South Bay is Vermont laws...  so all baits need to come from a farmers market, all scents must be cbd based, your hydro wave must play the dead.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, webertime said:

Champlain aside from South Bay is Vermont laws...  so all baits need to come from a farmers market, all scents must be cbd based, your hydro wave must play the dead.

Also any added attractants to your lures must include maple syrup.

Went to champlain last may. Was terrific lmb fising (i was really hoping to get on the smallies, only found 2). There is a lot of structure and cover that sets up well for lmbs in the north and south ends. My biggest thing was water temp, south end of the lake was 55*, mid lake was 50* and north was 62* and stained. Crushed it up north

3 hours ago, osummerer23 said:

Went to champlain last may. Was terrific lmb fising (i was really hoping to get on the smallies, only found 2). There is a lot of structure and cover that sets up well for lmbs in the north and south ends. My biggest thing was water temp, south end of the lake was 55*, mid lake was 50* and north was 62* and stained. Crushed it up north

Bingo!!!!

Early May to Late May stuff moves quick.  North and south ends swap back and forth for which is warmer based on rainfall and sun.  Mid lake is haaaaaard until later May into June.  North end can be stained (Mississquoui Bay, St Albans Bay) or Gin Clear (Macquam Shore, Eagle Mtn, Malletts Bay)  you'll find big heads and brown fish mixed together in all those areas.  Alewife and Yellow Perch colors.