SMITTY0045

Abu Garcia Villain vs Fenwick Aetos

I’m trying to decide between these two rods. I’ve held both of the last generation models of each of these rods but I don’t know how they perform our how the newest models feel. Can anyone give some insight?

I have a first gen Villian 6'9" ML,I love it.  It's light and has great sensitivity.I use it for wacky rigs in gravel pits and throw tubes when fishing the river.

Villain 2.0 spinning rod review.  http://tackletour.com/reviewabuvillain2spin.html

Villain 2.0 casting rod review. http://tackletour.com/reviewabuvillaincasting.html

Read smalljaw67's post.  https://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishing-forums/topic/155462-fenwick-aetos-or-hmg/

Finding reviews on the Aetos is hard.  Go to TW.  Check out the reviews left at the bottom of the page after clicking on the Aetos spinning (or casting) models.  I have 2 of the original Aetos casting models.  Some of my first casting rods were 6'6', but I soon found out that I prefer longer.  So the 6'6" rods didn't get used much.  I bought the Aetos 6'6" MLM casting rod after smalljaw67 gave me his opinion of the rod.  I absolutely love it.  Unfortunately it looks like Fenwick dropped this model with the 2nd generation model.

I own 3 Aetos rods and absolutely love them. They're light and sensitive. I own 2 spinnings and one casting. Which Power/action/lenght are you looking at ?

I don't know anything about the Villain, but have four Aetos rods, 3 from the previous generation (2 casting, 6'4" M-XF, and 6'8" MH-F, one spinning 7'0" M-F), and one casting from the current generation (7'5" MH-F) that Fenwick sent to me in a warranty claim when I broke another of the last gen.  They are excellent and beautiful rods -- very light, with "crisp" actions, and power ratings that are right on. The new generation is even lighter.  I use the 7'5" MH-F for a mix of jigs & frogs. The tip is soft enough to launch a 1/2oz frog a mile and has plenty of power for slop-work even though it's not a heavy. And it has excellent sensitivity for bottom contact.

The only thing I don't like is that the handles of both generations are 1-2 inches longer than I wish they were. But that's just a matter of taste, as I prefer shorter than usual handles.

1 hour ago, MIbassyaker said:

I don't know anything about the Villain, but have four Aetos rods, 3 from the previous generation (2 casting, 6'4" M-XF, and 6'8" MH-F, one spinning 7'0" M-F), and one casting from the current generation (7'5" MH-F) that Fenwick sent to me in a warranty claim when I broke another of the last gen.  They are excellent and beautiful rods -- very light, with "crisp" actions, and power ratings that are right on. The new generation is even lighter.  I use the 7'5" MH-F for a mix of jigs & frogs. The tip is soft enough to launch a 1/2oz frog a mile and has plenty of power for slop-work even though it's not a heavy. And it has excellent sensitivity for bottom contact.

The only thing I don't like is that the handles of both generations are 1-2 inches longer than I wish they were. But that's just a matter of taste, as I prefer shorter than usual handles.

You must love the ET Smallmouth series!  :D 

Just now, new2BC4bass said:

You must love the ET Smallmouth series!  :D 

Yes, yes I do  -- I have the 6'9" MH-F and 6'10" MH-MF casters, and the handle lengths are perfect on those.

41 minutes ago, MIbassyaker said:

Yes, yes I do  -- I have the 6'9" MH-F and 6'10" MH-MF casters, and the handle lengths are perfect on those.

:D  Only thing I would change on them is a bit longer handle.  Love them otherwise.