redmeansdistortion

Steelhead gear and tactics

What methods and gear do my fellow steelhead fishermen use pursuing the chrome torpedoes?  The season in my neck of the woods should be starting up soon and it would be nice to try something different.  I typically float and drift for them and throw the occasional hardware.  How does everybody else do it?

It depends on water conditions. I will toss spinners, bobber & jig, bobber and bead, old school drift fish with a corkie or yarnie.

I fish beads and jigs. Float beads or bottom bounce beads with just a split shot. I float jig or fish them by its self. I've seen my buddy get them on smaller spoons. 
I fish the fall run during the salmon spawn, so I fish natural bead colors in 8 and 10mm. I will also fish brighter beads.
Jigs, 1/16-1/8 is what i use. But it depends on the water depth and flow. In low smaller streams a 1/32 will be the way to go. I fish brighter color jigs. Mixed and matched, but have been fishing next to people getting fish on blacks and purples. 

Heading up next month for my first time spring steelie fishing. CANT WAIT!!! 

I've been doing pretty well in fall using Hot n Tots and Wiggle Warts.  They produce well for me when the water temp is in the 50 degree range.  For spring time I like to drift beads or marabous tipped with wax worms as they don't seem to be too keen on the crankbaits then.  

Im so excited to fish the spring run.  Never done it before, hoping my usual fall tactics work 

I'm getting ready to head to the Au Sable River in the northeast Lower Peninsula at the end of next month.  I'm going to try a little bit of everything.  I have some new waders and boots to put into action too.  My old pair is about 75% Aqua Seal lol.