learnin

Shimano Sienna 2500 FD spinning reel, great value.

Anyone else using one of these for lightwt lures and soft plastics.?  I own and have owned higher end Shimanos and Diawas. I read some good reviews on the Siennas a few years ago and figured for $30.00 I'd give it a try as a backup to keep in the boat. The next time out I used it to see how well it worked or didn't. It worked fine and I left it on the rod and have used it continuously since then for both fresh water and light surf fishing with both braid and mono.  Granted, so far I've never caught anything over 8 lbs with it but it's brought in a lot of fish with minimal maintenance. Other than rinsing it off with fresh water after surf fishing I've cleaned and re-lubed it once. Still all original parts.

Based on it's specs it seems to have most of the basic features of Shimano's more expensive reels.  I noticed last year or the year before Shimano changed it's design and now calls it the Sienna FE,  a carbon reel with one bearing. Kind of makes me wonder if the 4 bearing FD wasn't effecting their more expensive reel sales.

I bought a Sienna years ago...maybe 2012 or 13?  Not sure the model, but it's a bit of a tank: FD, green spool...maybe 3000ish.  I used it quite a bit for several years with zero problems.  It is on a shelf now, but not because there was anything wrong with it...just because Bait Monkey said to get new ones

My son has one and loves it.It's taken on the best the Great Miami has to offer.Smallies,Catfish,Carp, Saugers and Saugeyes,

Has it on a 7'1" Mojo

Best budget reel I've ever used.  I bought a couple to use in the surf because I figured the saltwater would corrode the reel quickly and it would need to be replaced, and a $30 replacement would be relatively painless.  5 years later and I'm still on the original reel.  Catches fish just as well as my Stradic and Sahara.

They're like 2 bearings different than the $60+ Sedona.  Great reels.