I’m looking for a starter rod for shore fishing Lake Superior tributes. I will mostly be fishing steelhead and rainbow trout and occasionally salmon. I have been looking at the 8’6” medium steelhead salmon Fenwick eagle rod and also the normal 7’ medium eagle. I don’t know which to choose, I will mostly be fishing with spinners and spoons. My real question is, will the larger rod have the sensitivity for the smaller rainbows and pinks? But I don’t know if the small rod will be able to handle steelhead and salmon. I don’t really have the budget to buy both so which one should I pick? Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for replying!

What technique are you using?  If you're float fishing or drift fishing, you'll want something 9'+, medium light power, and moderate action.  If throwing hardware (plugs, spoons, and spinners), something 8' to 9', medium or medium heavy power, and fast action would be great.  Good 'budget' rods are the Okuma SST and Ugly Stik Salmon Steelhead rods.  I have a few of the Okuma SSTs and find them fantastic.  They're full IM8 graphite blanks and can be had for $75 or less.

I've never found the added length took away from a sensitive blank.  Some of my float rods are over 12' long, and I can still feel the roe bag ticking rocks.

Spinning, I top out at 8#, casting is usually 12#.