Jump to content
Dirtyeggroll

Overcoming added weight role for jackplate?

Recommended Posts

Thinking about adding powerpoles to my Ranger R70 with a 125 Merc and 4 blade 21p Trophy prop. I already have 3 - 67 lb Batteries in the back of my boat and I’m worries adding another ~60 lbs by adding the poles will really start to effect my ability to get on plane.

 

Would a jackplate help overcome added weight in the back of the boat as far as holeshot is concerned? Not super concerned about top speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jack plates don't usually do a whole lot for hole shot.  There's usually more than enough adjustment in the motor to optimize that. However, set up for the best hole shot usually means a slower top end.   Where a jack plate really helps is getting it dialed in for top end performance.  Also, if this is a fairly new boat, check with Ranger before installing a jack plate.  Most manufactures have their own thoughts about jack plates and you can void the hull warranty if you go outside their rules.

Hydraulic jack plates will give you the best of both worlds, but then you are talking about even more weight back there.  It lets you drop the motor down to get that better hole shot and then lift the motor up to get those extra few miles per hour and better bow lift.  They also let you get the setback where you need it to get that extra leverage to lift the bow so do your home work on your hull to find out exactly which amount of set back works best on it.  That extra setback can actually make the boat sit lower in the back when stopped and fishing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, a JP will help hole shot.  If you have a good setup now, adding poles won't make that much of a difference.  The best excuse for you to get a JP is to be able to mount the pole brackets to it.  Sandwich mounts between your motor and hull for the poles are not the best.  They tend to work loose over time.  Mounting directly to the hull was totally out of the question for me.  I was not going to drill my hull for poles.  I have a heavy 21 foot ranger with a 6 inch hydro plate and a 3 blade yamaha prop (4 is better for holeshot) and I lost nothing on holeshot after adding the poles.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TOXIC said:

Yes, a JP will help hole shot.  If you have a good setup now, adding poles won't make that much of a difference.  The best excuse for you to get a JP is to be able to mount the pole brackets to it.  Sandwich mounts between your motor and hull for the poles are not the best.  They tend to work loose over time.  Mounting directly to the hull was totally out of the question for me.  I was not going to drill my hull for poles.  I have a heavy 21 foot ranger with a 6 inch hydro plate and a 3 blade yamaha prop (4 is better for holeshot) and I lost nothing on holeshot after adding the poles.  

I think I’m going to start with the poles sandwiched between the motor and transom.

While you may not have a had a problem with your boat, adding ~70 lbs to my 17’ boat with a smaller motor might be a bit more significantly impacted. Lots of others with the same boat have reported lack of performance gains or even negative results with a jackplate on the R70 series (however, this was in the absence of trying to overcome extra weight, but trying to get their boats up on plane faster or squeeze out a few more mph).

 

I recently learned that the same powerpoles brackets that can go between the motor and transom, can be used similarly with the jackplate.

 

My biggest worry was getting the poles and then being super bogged down and having to shell out $300-$500 for a different set of bracket and another big chunk of change for the jackplate.

 

Now just to figure out which series of poles to get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are going to use the "sandwich" brackets just make sure you check you transom bolts often....like every other trip often and remember when tightening always turn the nut and not the bolt and make sure your bolts are sealed well.  Doing the monkey hang with your arms underwater in Lake St Clair in the spring retightening transom bolts is no fun.  Ask me how I know.  :lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TOXIC said:

If you are going to use the "sandwich" brackets just make sure you check you transom bolts often....like every other trip often and remember when tightening always turn the nut and not the bolt and make sure your bolts are sealed well.  Doing the monkey hang with your arms underwater in Lake St Clair in the spring retightening transom bolts is no fun.  Ask me how I know.  :lol:

Honestly, right now I feel like with the sandwich brackets and the extra weight I am making some compromises I could regret... at the same time, I could be overthinking it.

 

I’ve also heard that mlre setback with a jackplate on these boats can really push the bow up a bit and result in lots of backwash when slowing...

 

It’d be nice if I could just try them out and see what happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Dirtyeggroll said:

It’d be nice if I could just try them out and see what happens. 

There is so much truth to this with almost every add on.  Looking to get a TM, try this and see what you think.  Want to change props, give this a shot and see how it works for you.  If only it were that simple/easy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...