Jump to content
ITO_ZILLION

Megabass Destroyer Sensitivity & Weight Experiences...???

Recommended Posts

I am thinking about getting the Megabass Destroyer FMJ for mainly jigs and texas rigs for pitching into heavy cover. With Megabass being so high priced...Is the sensitivity and weight on par or better than a G Loomis NRX JWR...? 

 

I have never fished/owned a Megabass or a NRX...but from what I have read on these and other forums...NRX seems to be the 'gold standard' when it comes to sensitivity and lightness. Since Megabass is in the same price range as the NRX...I figured the sensitivity and weight should be about the same as the NRX rods. 

 

Hopefully there is someone in here who has experience with both manufacturers and can give me some insight into how both of these rods fish and their relative actions for the techniques listed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wrestled with this quite a bit and did a ton of research... NRX 4 power JWR VS. Megabass Destroyer FMJ?! I went back and forth and back and forth and decided on the FMJ as my dedicated jig rod. I've owned NRX's in the past, and really enjoyed them. 

 

First off, Megabass is NOT exactly in the same price range as NRX. Destroyers are $400, and NRX's go north of $500 MSRP. So there's more "value" in the destroyer. Heck GLX's are more expensive than a Destroyer. Used, NRX's go for about 325-350 and Destroyers go for about 300. Destroyers have way less of a deprecation, but NRX's never go under 300 bucks used. 

 

For tossing jigs from 1/2oz-1oz you're basically going to compare the NRX 894c/854c, and the FMJ. 

 

Allegedly the 894C is the gold-standard jig rod. The crown jewel in the NRX line. If you can afford that rod and have a locker that can hold a 7'5" rod. That's the one to get. End of story. 

 

What's the big differences between the NRX 4 power JWR's and the Megabass FMJ? I'll make a quick list..

 

1.) Gloomis has a lifetime warranty, Megabass just has a 3 year warranty. Yup that sucks. 

2.) NRX's fit & finish isn't even CLOSE to Megabass. The blank is the shining star on a NRX.. however the guides can typically be misaligned, guide wraps can be kinda imperfect, and the handle is kinda outdated and some find it uncomfortable.  The fit & finish on the Megabass is impeccable Japanese perfectness. The guide wraps are beautiful, the handle is amazing and there's so many little details that blow away anything Loomis does. It's like a ferarri next to a chevy camaro.

3.) Balance. Megabass Destroyers are superbly balanced compared to the NRX. Yes the NRX's are insanely light but the balance is not $500 good. Destroyers balance is $400 'wow.. that's amazing'. Infact Megabass has amazing balance in the XX & new Levante's as well. 

4.) Weight is a bit of a wash. They both are insanely light. 

5.) FMJ has tons of power but also has a very good tip for a "heavy". The way they designed the blank for the FMJ, the tip's material has a different makup than the base of the rod making it feel less like a heavy meatstick. It almost feels like a MH if you pick it up and aren't aware that it's a heavy rod that can go up to 1.5oz. It doesn't feel like a broomstick at all. The 894 feels a little stiff BUT it makes up for that by being longer and giving you a lot of blank to load up with on a hookset. 

6.) If you fish shallow cover & docks and want to skip, then you'll probably want to look at the FMJ vs the 854c. Lots of NRX nerds say that the 854c is NOT as good of a rod as the 894c. This is obviously personal opinions but people say the 4 power rod to get is the 894c. 

7.) Both rods hold their value extremely well, and picking up a used rod means IF you get it for the right price, you'll be able to resell it in a few years for very close to what you paid for it. It's kinda like a rental if you treat it right!

 

I picked the FMJ because I fish in 10' or less most of the time, and I love fishing docks with jigs.. so the shorter rod appealed to me more than the 7'5 NRX. I also liked the price AND I was floored with the balance & craftsmanship of the rod. I have a feeling more Destroyers are going to start appearing in my rod locker over the next few years. 

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hell Yeah Punch...Thanks for the info and review. Greatly appreciated. Just like you...I am mainly looking for a 'dedicated' jig rod since jigs are my confidence bait and Pitchin is one of my favorite techniques. 

 

I was looking to get the most sensitive and light weight jig rod I can get my hands on for pitchin around heavy cover in shallow water (10' and less). The NRX series of rods kept showing up everywhere I looked and researched online. 

 

Some questions...

 

1. I know you stated 1/2oz and larger jigs...But can the FMJ fish 1/4 & 3/8 oz jigs effectively also or is it 'too much rod' for these lighter weights...? Would most people agree that the FMJ is mostly 'at home' at 1/2 oz and larger...?

 

2. Is the FMJ pretty versatile and can it fish reaction type baits effectively also (swimbaits, wakebait, frog etc)...? 

 

3. Can you give me more insight as to why some guys choose the 894c over the 854c...? Is the action of the 854c too light for jigs in heavy cover...? What would most guys use the 854c for...?

 

Quote

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went through the “NRX or FMJ” debate last year and ended up with the FMJ.  I agree with most of what @punch wrote.  I went FMJ as I wanted a more versatile rod that was more balanced and easier to handle.  I am very very pleased with my choice and if all my rods disappeared overnight the FMJ would be the first or second rod I replaced. 

 

As to it’s lower limit, I pitch a weightless Cover Craw on mine and it loads the tip pretty well. A weightless 5’ senko at 3/8oz is pushing it but it still casts and pitches well but short range accuracy suffers.  I have a Steez SV TW on mine with a RCS sv1012 spool in it and it is a great pairing.  A slightly heavier reel would balance it a bit better thought. 

 

I first got the FMJ and strung it up for thr first time I thought it was too light and too slow to be a great jig rod.  The first couple of bass changed my mind 100%. The rod drives jig hooks home very easily and the rod bends under even a 1lb bass enough to keep the hook in even if I am not totally on point in keeping the pressue on.  I also find it grest for single hook moving baits and even throw a BBZ 40 Rat on it from time to time and have had no issue landing bass on it’s trebles.  

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ITO_ZILLION said:

Hell Yeah Punch...Thanks for the info and review. Greatly appreciated. Just like you...I am mainly looking for a 'dedicated' jig rod since jigs are my confidence bait and Pitchin is one of my favorite techniques. 

 

I was looking to get the most sensitive and light weight jig rod I can get my hands on for pitchin around heavy cover in shallow water (10' and less). The NRX series of rods kept showing up everywhere I looked and researched online. 

 

Some questions...

 

1. I know you stated 1/2oz and larger jigs...But can the FMJ fish 1/4 & 3/8 oz jigs effectively also or is it 'too much rod' for these lighter weights...? Would most people agree that the FMJ is mostly 'at home' at 1/2 oz and larger...?

 

2. Is the FMJ pretty versatile and can it fish reaction type baits effectively also (swimbaits, wakebait, frog etc)...? 

 

3. Can you give me more insight as to why some guys choose the 894c over the 854c...? Is the action of the 854c too light for jigs in heavy cover...? What would most guys use the 854c for...?

 

 

1. I would go with a regular MH rod for 1/4 & 3/8 oz jigs. I think the sweet spot for the FMJ is 1/2, 5/8, 3/4. 

 

2. FMJ can handle any duties you'd normally associate to a 7'2 H rod. It could be a good frog rod for sure. 

 

3. I think most people prefer the blank on the 894c vs the 854c simply because the 894c feels more "lively". The 854c and 894c are rated the same. I'm not the best person to give a great opinion on this but my gloomis buddies have all told me the 3 gloomis blanks that are must-gets are the 894c, 893c, and the 873 CRR. 

 

I'm running a GLX 893c this year for lighter texas rigs (1/4 & 3/8) and single hook moving baits.. chatterbait/spinnerbait/buzzbait. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got the FMJ so while I can't comment on how it fishes just yet, I can say that the craftsmanship on this rod is astonishing.

 

Had a good amount of time trying Steez SV and Steez A on the FMJ before buying and went with the A because it balanced better. The balance point is right in front of the locking nut. It's very good. Steez SV paring felt ridiculously light but a heavier 7 oz reel felt better imo.

 

I just got the Daiwa Morethan PE 1000XHL delivered to me today, and I think this one will be the permanent reel for the FMJ (didn't get a chance to take pictures yet).

 

Megabass makes some beautiful rods

fmj_pp_tiny.thumb.jpeg.e43825304bcb165305fd65aa312d7a26.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ResoKP said:

 

Had a good amount of time trying Steez SV and Steez A on the FMJ before buying and went with the A because it balanced better. The balance point is right in front of the locking nut. It's very good. Steez SV paring felt ridiculously light but a heavier 7 oz reel felt better imo.

 

I would agree, a sv103 at like 8.x ounces makes the combo too heavy overall and the SV TW makes it a bit tip heavy, so I think the Steez A would be “ideal”. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The OP asked a simple question how much do the rods weigh? How about answering that ?

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, WRB said:

The OP asked a simple question how much do the rods weigh? How about answering that ?

Tom

NRX 894C - 4.3 oz

FMJ - 4.58 oz

 

I think some of us were trying to make a point that weight itself doesn't equate to how well a rod feels in the hand though

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will agree that GLoomis GLX/NRX are pretty much the gold standard in high end rods. However, anyone who has bought a high end Megabass rod in recent years will tell you that they're setting the new gold standard. The finish and quality is out of this world! The only downside, as mentioned, is the warranty isn't as good. But again, you're saving some money up front. 

 

Comparing my Orochi XX EMTF (old version) against my GLX 853C, the Orochi trumps it in terms of finish and quality. Probably about even on sensitivity. You're comparing a $299 rod to a $445 rod here, if you want to talk numbers. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dobyns rods are designed for balance not lightest weights. Good balance for example the center of gravity pivot point is the center of the reel seat, therefor reel weight doesn’t affect balance.

My custom ALX rods are built to be balanced and have a fore grip similar to NRX, essential for me, they are light weight @ 3.8 oz JWR with 1/4-1 oz & 3/8-1 1/4 oz lure ratings. 

I would check into state of the art custom rods with your budget.

You want life time warranty, good customer service and 90 day trail period plus free shipping.

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought my 1st Megabass stick because it was gorgeous.  I bought all my others because they have fantastic bends/tapers that allow the rods to be exactly what I wanted for a specific application yet somehow, mindbogglingly, be incredibly versatile at the same time.  I've never experienced that from other rods.  I'm sold on Megabass.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Punch hit the nail on the head,  I have 2 FMJ & Daemos and will be adding a Vivaldia & Adermine also. they replaced my NRX 894, 854, 873, and 843, and have moved my ALX rods to other duties in my hands I was hard pressed to find a $200.00 difference in sensitivity VS the NRX

 

The Megabass to me are better built, and balance great with my curados right at the reel seat nut. My NRX all needed a chair cap with some quarters to balance with the exception of the 843

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BaitFinesse said:

I bought my 1st Megabass stick because it was gorgeous.  I bought all my others because they have fantastic bends/tapers that allow the rods to be exactly what I wanted for a specific application yet somehow, mindbogglingly, be incredibly versatile at the same time.  I've never experienced that from other rods.  I'm sold on Megabass.  

This is basically where I am at.  I love the Loomis MBR rods and will keep buying them and maybe an NRX just to see what the fuss is about, but other then that I am rarely looking beyond the MB lines. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My number 1 gripe and the reason why I am a little hesitant to go with GLoomis is because of the craftsmanship and fit/finish. 

 

I mean...at over $500...You would think the craftsmanship would be a little better but seeing as how guys are complaining about misaligned guides, bad thread wrap jobs and unpleasant aesthetics...I am very hesitant to go with GLoomis. The warranty is great but at over $500...the craftsmanship and fit/finish also needs to be 'top notch' too. Well...I guess we can't all win all the time and it seems we have to make a sacrifice somewhere. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I might have to go the 'custom rod' route as WRB stated. I am only interested in 3 blanks for a custom jig rod build. 

 

1. Phenix K2.

2. North Fork Composites (NFC) X-Ray. 

3. Kistler Z-Bone (its probably made by NFC but seems like I would need to buy thru Kistler and not NFC). 

 

Some questions...

 

A. Does Kistler sell just blanks...? 

B. Is the NFC X-Ray on par with the NRX in terms of sensitivity and weight/lightness...?

C. Is the Phenix K2 on par with the NRX in terms of sensitivity and weight/lightness...?

D. Is the Z-Bone on par with the NRX in terms of sensitivity and weight/lightness...?

 

Kinda leaning towards the Phenix K2 because I live in Southern California and Phenix Rods is 'literally' a couple streets away from my house. I like supporting local companies as much as I can. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The FMJ is a great rod. More on par with the GLX in terms of sensitivity, but the balance of the rod is top notch, and the fit and finish is a cut above the rest. I've fished jigs down to 1/4 oz with a trailer and have no issues. It's also a great spinnerbait and chatterbait rod. The warranty isn't long, but when I warrantied my Javelin it was truly no questions asked and they sent me a brand new rod within a week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy ****!!! Browsing TackleWarehouse and I just noticed...Daiwa Steez SVF AGS is more expensive than the Megabass and the NRX!!!

 

I totally forgot about the Steez line of rods from Daiwa. I am gonna have to factor the steez into my lineup of choices too now. Particularly the 7'1" Heavy _ Extra Fast _ 16-30lb _ 1/4-1 1/2oz

 

Anyone have any experiences with Daiwa Steez rods and particularly the one mentioned above? Is the sensitivity and weight/lightness on par with the NRX...? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, ITO_ZILLION said:

I think I might have to go the 'custom rod' route as WRB stated. I am only interested in 3 blanks for a custom jig rod build. 

 

1. Phenix K2.

2. North Fork Composites (NFC) X-Ray. 

3. Kistler Z-Bone (its probably made by NFC but seems like I would need to buy thru Kistler and not NFC). 

 

Some questions...

 

A. Does Kistler sell just blanks...? 

B. Is the NFC X-Ray on par with the NRX in terms of sensitivity and Lightness...?

C. Is the Phenix K2 on par with the NRX in terms of sensitivity and Lightness...?

D. Is the Z-Bone on par with the NRX in terms of sensitivity and Lightness...?

 

Kinda leaning towards the Phenix K2 because I live in Southern California and Phenix Rods is 'literally' a couple streets away from my house. I like supporting local companies as much as I can. 

D. Is the Z-Bone on par with the NRX in terms of sensitivity and Lightness...?

 

Someone on tackle tour said they thought the 2018/19 Zbone was more sensitive, but the NRX fished better. The good part is that I see both these models going for the low on the second hand market. Many NWT.

 

B. Is the NFC X-Ray on par with the NRX in terms of sensitivity and Lightness...?

Based on what was said about D, B is yes.

 

 

I have only fished the NRX 894c which I own. I have been looking at more rods that I don't need, but I love owning/testing gear, so I do plan to get a Zbone, K2 and another Megabass this year. I keep checking the sale areas and FB groups for deals.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2019 at 9:37 AM, punch said:

1. I would go with a regular MH rod for 1/4 & 3/8 oz jigs. I think the sweet spot for the FMJ is 1/2, 5/8, 3/4. 

 

2. FMJ can handle any duties you'd normally associate to a 7'2 H rod. It could be a good frog rod for sure. 

 

3. I think most people prefer the blank on the 894c vs the 854c simply because the 894c feels more "lively". The 854c and 894c are rated the same. I'm not the best person to give a great opinion on this but my gloomis buddies have all told me the 3 gloomis blanks that are must-gets are the 894c, 893c, and the 873 CRR. 

 

I'm running a GLX 893c this year for lighter texas rigs (1/4 & 3/8) and single hook moving baits.. chatterbait/spinnerbait/buzzbait. 


A good old Regular MH rod for 1/4 & 3/8 oz jigs sounds about right. Would you go with Megabass Destroyer Daemos for 1/4 and 3/8 oz jigs...? Daemos is a F5 power whereas the FMJ is a F6 so it sounds like it would fit the bill perfectly.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, ITO_ZILLION said:


A good old Regular MH rod for 1/4 & 3/8 oz jigs sounds about right. Would you go with Megabass Destroyer Daemos for 1/4 and 3/8 oz jigs...? Daemos is a F5 power whereas the FMJ is a F6 so it sounds like it would fit the bill perfectly.

 

Yes. Get both ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...