Scott Miller

install for recess trolling motor tray - help please

I want to install this tray but I don't want to start cutting into my deck blindly.  I asked the guys at the lowe dealership if the had a schematic or anything that would tell me where the cross supports are underneath the deck.  Their answer was they didn't know and wouldn't risk cutting into the aluminum deck.  Have any of you installed a tray in a 16' lowe skorpion?

I installed a tray in my Triton Aluminum front deck. I just traced out the pattern that came with the tray and cut it with a metal bladed jigsaw. I did have to cut through a support beam but the deck and hull is all-welded. Been a great addition and there was no negative affects at all. It sure makes running the trolling motor while standing all a day a heck of a lot easier on your legs and back. 

I don't have your boat, but do have a 17' G3 tin and the company told me don't do it.

yeah, the salesman at lowe told me also not to cut but I'm tired of my back hurting.

So I called Lowe customer service and the guy called me back today and said he'd send me a schematic of the deck but it doesn't sound lie it matters if I cut through a stringer.   He advised that If i cut through a support to  just brace it with an aluminum  leg. Thanks Rhuff, Ill give its shot with the jig saw.

I don't see where the size of the recessed tray would be large enough to hurt anything. It surely didn't on my boat. The hardest part though was getting up underneath the deck of the bow to get the drain tube inserted so rainwater would drain down into the bilge...