Kev-mo

How to Adjust from Braid to Mono and Back?

Mostly fish rivers and throw a bit of everything depending on conditions etc. So years ago I switched from mono to braid. About 4 years after that I put mono on a reel just because I wanted to remember/see what mono felt like. I could not get a hook into a fish. I think I was throwing cranks and maybe jig/grub.

So for you guys that throw braid, mono and/or flouro all in one day how do you compensate mentally/physically for the differences in stretch/sensitivity? I'm going to guess some of it is just repetition... how did you initially fair?

I'd just like to be able to throw some heavier mono now and again when cranking and also throw mono on those winter days when a braid ices up. Hope this makes sense. Thanks.

Rod action is important in this decision.  Got to match the stiffness of the rod with line and match that to the hook type.  Then match your hookset style to all of that.  It is a complicated part of the game.  There are countless threads on this site as far as these types of pairings and balances.

• Like 1

I fished braid for over 10 years exclusively. I wanted to try FC line that was all the buzz and bought some 10# Sniper FC. Lost fish after fish from trying to get a hookset out past 100 feet. Also working a bottom contact lure like jig just left me yanking and yanking while the line stretched jig being stuck. Not going to change my rod because of a line.

Had to move up to 16# Sniper FC that needs more pressure applied before it stretches this helped me out. I also give a little more force on hooksets and use my sharpest hooks, Trokar.

I use only 2 hook sets; reel fast and firm rod sweep for nearly every hook set except for more vertical jig or creature/ worm presentations, then I use the rod snap or whip set. Line type doesn’t factor in for me only if the lure is in cover vertically.

What do you mostly fish? Could be as simple as before you were reel setting and using looser drag, and now mono you need to set the hook more traditionally and tighten the drag a bit. But it really depends on what your primary techniques are.

With crankbaits my above theory would hold true.

Just practice a lot lol. I use all 3 all the time. Braid on frogs and spinning rods. Flouro on the majority and mono for cranking and topwaters.  Just have to be aware. Treble hooks I just sweep the rod a little. Jigs and frogs I drop the hammer. After a while it becomes second nature but ur always gonna make mistakes a lose a few. 

cranks and mono - use a long smooth sweeping hookset, braid with jigs and plastics - tear their lips off.

With braid a looser drag setting and with mono a little tighter drag setting. I don't use braid, except on my frog set up, but have never had trouble with a hook set on the few reels I have mono on.  The rest have flouro carbon.  It must be my trusty BPS Carbonlites 😉

Thanks for the feedback. It's probably my hook set more than anything else. I think I probably got a little lazy with braid.