Jump to content
fronty

Best places to kayak fish Geneva/Oviedo/Casselberry

Recommended Posts

 

I'm currently living in Geneva. I see a lot of people visiting the Econ river. There is a ramp there as well as the CS Lee Park and Cameron ramp. I'm not sure how kayak friendly the two parks are. I just got started kayak fishing, so I'm looking for some places to get started.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully someone can give you specifics as far a Econ. 

 

I know Secret Lake and Lake Virginia are up towards the Oviedo/Casselberry area. Both are popular kayak fishing lakes.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Google Earth is your friend !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/6/2019 at 3:28 AM, fronty said:

 

I'm currently living in Geneva. I see a lot of people visiting the Econ river. There is a ramp there as well as the CS Lee Park and Cameron ramp. I'm not sure how kayak friendly the two parks are.

 

Check out a group called, "Central Florida Kayaking and Fishing Club" on Facebook. There is a guy on there that fishes the Econ regularly. I just saw it and figured that might help you out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You probably won't catch any giants out of the Econ, a 4 pounder is the biggest I've seen caught out of there, but you can definitely catch some bass if the conditions are right.

 

Check the river gauge on USGS's site, as long as it's under 2 feet the fishing is decent, but lower than that, say 1.25 ft, is when the fishing is really good.  As the river drops, it also gets cleaner making sight-fishing possible and groups of 1 pound fish can be spotted cruising sandbars. That was the most effective method for me, along with others I've spoken too.  Outside of sight-fishing, targeting laydowns and brush on river bends is effective, just be prepared because there is a ton of cover out there so don't get discouraged if you aren't catching anything right away.

 

About all you need for lures is senkos, speedworms, your favorite craw lure, and a jig. 

 

If you're interested in other species, the Econ is a pretty good place for bream (the red bellies in particular were the largest I've seen anywhere), gar (we've caught them up to 20 pounds), and catfish (Channels up to 5 pounds, bullheads, and speckled cats) as well. 

 

I've never tried it, but I've always heard the fishing for sunshine bass and shad are supposed to be really good around C.S Lee at this time of the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2019 at 1:51 PM, bigbassin' said:

You probably won't catch any giants out of the Econ, a 4 pounder is the biggest I've seen caught out of there, but you can definitely catch some bass if the conditions are right.

 

Check the river gauge on USGS's site, as long as it's under 2 feet the fishing is decent, but lower than that, say 1.25 ft, is when the fishing is really good.  As the river drops, it also gets cleaner making sight-fishing possible and groups of 1 pound fish can be spotted cruising sandbars. That was the most effective method for me, along with others I've spoken too.  Outside of sight-fishing, targeting laydowns and brush on river bends is effective, just be prepared because there is a ton of cover out there so don't get discouraged if you aren't catching anything right away.

 

About all you need for lures is senkos, speedworms, your favorite craw lure, and a jig. 

 

If you're interested in other species, the Econ is a pretty good place for bream (the red bellies in particular were the largest I've seen anywhere), gar (we've caught them up to 20 pounds), and catfish (Channels up to 5 pounds, bullheads, and speckled cats) as well. 

 

I've never tried it, but I've always heard the fishing for sunshine bass and shad are supposed to be really good around C.S Lee at this time of the year.

 

 

Do you look at the gage height or the elevation above navd? Also, I'm assuming you look at the Chuluota chart and not the Oviedo based on the depth.

 

Do you know of any other good areas for big bass in this area? Also, I would like to do some crappie fishing as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/25/2019 at 10:40 AM, fronty said:

 

 

Do you look at the gage height or the elevation above navd? Also, I'm assuming you look at the Chuluota chart and not the Oviedo based on the depth.

 

Do you know of any other good areas for big bass in this area? Also, I would like to do some crappie fishing as well.

I use the elevation, and that is correct that I use the Chuluota Gage.

 

Every lake and pond has big bass in it, just pick a couple and put in some time.  Personally I'd focus on eel grass flats, most of the lakes have them, they produce fish, and you can just drift them in a kayak so you aren't constantly trying to fix your position.

 

I don't typically fish for Crappie, but C.S. Lee is supposed to be really productive from February to April.  Outside of that, I don't know many people that targeted them year round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing poles

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...