I'm planning to buy a fishing kayak this year to take my bass fishing to the next level, since at the moment all I have is a canoe. The main thing I needed above all else was standing stability. So I looked for a fishing kayak that was stable enough to fish in standing up almost %100 of the time, and I couldn't find hardly anything! and the few I did it was ridiculously expensive like the Native Watercraft Titan 13.5. Then I discovered the solution that is slowly becoming more popular. Kayak - paddle board hybrids designed for superior stability for fishing. I did lots of research and i narrowed it down to 2 models. The Vibe Maverick 120 vs the Kaku Kahuna. I'm hoping someone here has some experience and share their opinion. Thanks!  

I know you asked for experience with the Maverick 120 or Kahuna so feel free to ignore me... but if that's the road you're going down (and I think you are on the right path) have you looked into the Kaku Voodoo at all? It's basically the full-on hybrid. Not a paddle board at all. Awesome seat and the stability to not use it lol.

11 minutes ago, HookInMouth said:

I know you asked for experience with the Maverick 120 or Kahuna so feel free to ignore me... but if that's the road you're going down (and I think you are on the right path) have you looked into the Kaku Voodoo at all? It's basically the full-on hybrid. Not a paddle board at all. Awesome seat and the stability to not use it lol.

Yes, It's slightly over budget but I'm probably going to buy my yak used anyway, so if it's a lot better, I'll consider it instead, and save just another $150 or so. 

1 minute ago, ElijahH said:

Yes, It's slightly over budget but I'm probably going to buy my yak used anyway, so if it's a lot better, I'll consider it instead.  

I haven't been out on mine yet but hopefully will this weekend. I can only tell you that the owner believes it to be a lot more stable and better for standing. I've seen photos of 280lb plus guys standing and casting off of the seat. But from what I gather the Mavrick and Kahuna are both stable in their own right. Just not as stable as the Voodoo. Stability means different things for different people so I'm not sure how stable you need to feel comfortable. I went with the Voodoo mostly because I'm a big clumsy oaf. 

2 minutes ago, HookInMouth said:

Stability means different things for different people so I'm not sure how stable you need to feel comfortable. I went with the Voodoo mostly because I'm a big clumsy oaf. 

I'm only a freshman in HS, 5'7 and 115 pounds soaking wet with boots on, so I should be able to be pretty stable. 

I would love to have a rigged Jon Boat, but I'll be needing a vehicle soon and it's just not financially possible.  

1 minute ago, ElijahH said:

I'm only a freshman in HS, 5'7 and 115 pounds soaking wet with boots on, so I should be able to be pretty stable. 

Ah. Well. I think you would be fine with either the Kaku Kahuna or the Vibe Maverick. My personal preference would be the Kaku. Very well made. Thick, tough plastic. Very well thought out designs. Owner is very involved and will most likely answer you personally if you contact them with questions.