Sign in to follow this  
Hoppy

Jon Boat stability

I have a 14 foot jon boat.  I am going to be using it in ponds only.  I have a minkota 30lb trolling motor and of course a battery and gear.  I weigh 320 lbs.  I used if tof rthe first time this morning and I fell out of the darn thing.  Was just getting it into the water so no big deal.  I do not think it is a wide bottom but I am not sure it is probably four foot wide across the top.  Is their anything I can do to make it more stable short of loosing a 100 pounds.  I want to put a casting platform on the front but I am concerned it will make it worse.

Thanks

Bottom width is what gives you stability; you stated your boat is around 4' or 48 beam width which depending on who built you boat translates to about a 32-36 bottom. I have owned at least a dozen Jon boats and can tell you I would not go any narrower than a 40 bottom especially if I were to build a deck. Others will differ but keep in mind you have already fallen out with out a deck.

Perhaps a outrigger made of PVC that can easily be removed for transport? I've seen guys use aluminum struts attaches to a big piece (4-6in) PVC tube as a float.

Bill

Well my son got me the boat for fathers day last year from a friend so for free I can not complain.  I am actually thinking about ttying to trade it for a 10 footer.  Like I said I am just using it in a pond so I don't really need a 14 footer.  Yeah the falling out with out a deck has really got me wondering if I want a deck at all.

Thanks guys

You definately need a wider boat , something with at least a 48 " wide bottom or bigger.

Well my son got me the boat for fathers day last year from a friend so for free I can not complain. I am actually thinking about ttying to trade it for a 10 footer. Like I said I am just using it in a pond so I don't really need a 14 footer. Yeah the falling out with out a deck has really got me wondering if I want a deck at all.

Thanks guys

A ten footer ? Are you sure about that ? A big man in a little boat is asking for trouble.     JMHO

Well after looking looks like the 14 footer is the only size that comes in a 48".  so I guess I will have to play it safe with this one till I can find a 48.  Thanks for the help guys.

Bottom width is what gives you stability; you stated your boat is around 4' or 48 beam width which depending on who built you boat translates to about a 32-36 bottom. I have owned at least a dozen Jon boats and can tell you I would not go any narrower than a 40 bottom especially if I were to build a deck. Others will differ but keep in mind you have already fallen out with out a deck.

Catt thanks for the info I never heard about that 40" beam rule

I simple looked at several boat manufactories web sites, and then looked at the boats beams/bottom widths.

But you are welcome   ;)