Santee Lakes CA

928JLH

Going to be camping there 3 days in June. Definitely bringing a few rods. Was hoping for some information about bottom compositions, vegetation types, and average depths. Gotta keep the rods and tackle to a minimum due to space, so I'll have to try and cover it all. Thanks in advance.

• Super User

Santee lakes is a family recreational area with 7 small lakes as I recall, lakes 1 & 5 has bass, it's mostly a stocked channel catfish fishery.

Typical SoCal terrian, rocky structure with sparsh vegetation.

San Vicente reservior is a world class bass lake located about 11 miles or 25 minutes up Highway 62 with rental boats available.

Finesse soft plastics like Roboworms drop or slip shot rigged and Senko's, Ika's always work. I haven't been to those lakes, fished San V a lot but not since the dam was raised doubling the size of the lake.

Check fish reports in Western Outdoor News and factor in the reports are about 2 weeks behind.

Tom

• Thanks 1

I was there (day use, not camping) several years ago.  I was not able to catch any bass in lake 1 (but I'm sure they are in there - I saw some swimming away as I approached).  I was able to catch bass in the other lakes 2, 3, 4 & 5.  Fishing was hit or miss - one day I caught 10, another day only 1.  I went in September and there was lots of vegetation.  Not sure what it is like in June. 

Check the forums and reports at https://sdfish.com/.  Maybe someone there can answer your questions.

I think if you camp you have access to two other lakes 6 & 7.  https://www.santeelakes.com/

It gets really crowded in the day use lakes (ponds) the weeks they stock.  Check the stocking schedule at the santeelakes site.

Good Luck.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I live in San Diego, I fish Santee occasionally because I can take my kids fishing without renting a boat. Right now it’s post spawn summer transition, fish are roaming. Water clarity ranges in the lakes from like 1’-5’ of visibility. I finesse fish a lot there due to the constant pressure those fish see. But weightless senkos work well, along with drop shotting. Late evening I’d bring topwater because it goes off at night! Also pitching jigs works well into the tule’s you can reach. Lastly the depths are no more than like 15’ I believe. Think pond fishing not lake.