Sign in to follow this  
LOW7681

Battery Cut Off Switch

I run a 70+ pound thrust 24 volt trolling motor.  I wired the motor a number of years ago with a marine guide male and female plug in order to disconnect my trolling motor from my batteries.

It is time to replace the plug and I'm considering using a Guest battery switch. The specs of the switch I'm considering are copied below:

My question is are there any negatives to using this type of switch for my application? It seems straight forward, however, I thought it best to ask.  Thanks!

Square Battery Selector Switch with on/off switch

Part No. 2122

Description

Continuous Amps: 320

Momentary Amps: 480

Color: Black

Dimensions: 3-1/2" Sq. x 2-1/2"H

Product Features

For 6v, 12v, 24v or 32v systems

Mounting options: surface, recessed or rear mount

Battery selector with on/off switch

Heavy duty copper "sweep" contacts to insure long life

I'm getting rid of the plug in.  They are not built in.  The trolling motor male and female replacement plugs will cost me $58, whereas the switch will be around $30.  Plus it will be easier to use.

So you are going to hard wire the motor direct? You are using the switch for? Some of the big boat manufactures are just hard wiring the motor now at the factory and not using any switch. It is a good idea to use the switch just to protect the motor when charging.

I now unplug my plugs when charging.  Would turn the switch off when charging.

Currently one of the plugs connects to the 6 gauge wire that I run from my batteries that are in the rear of the boat to the plug with the lighter gauge wire from my trolling/positioning motor.

The battery switch will easily handle the TM current. But removing the TM from the boat may be a little more of a problem without the quick disconnect connector.  :)

I use one on my boat instead of the plug, works great. However, I found one that doubles as a circuit, so it trips if say, you're TM arced to your hull. Mines rated at 75 amps I believe but you could probably find a bigger one. Its a master shut off for the whole boat, which is great cause if I flip that switch I know nothing can be drawing on it.

XcoM274

Thanks for the info.

I wonder how many just hard wire the trolling motor to their batteries.

It would be inconvenient but would be sure of a tight connection as I would crimp and solder.

My first set off Marine plugs lasted many years and then a loose connection caused high resistance and ruined the plugs.  Purchase new plugs of equivalent capacity but not marine and they easily corrode.

Am now leery of plugs.