Sign in to follow this  
ghost

Need Trolling Motor Help

I bought a Minn Kota Endura 30 this evening for Colorado XT pontoon/kickboat.  The toon is 9' long & weighs 70 lbs & I'd say close to 100 lbs w/ gear & everthing on it.

So, The Endura 30 is 12 volts, how big of a batter do I need?  How big of a battery charger do I need?  Will a Walmart marine battery work?  Also how heavy are these batteries?

Thanks!

Wallmart charger will be fine. One battery should be plenty. My deep cycle batteries that I run my TM with weight 64lbs. each. A 9 ft. boat will probably be fine with a standard deep cycle battery.

I have a homebuilt 10 ft kayak powered with a MK40 about the same weight as yours. The battery is a WM grp 24 deep cycle. This is a 75 amp Hour battery. That is it will deliver 75 amps for 1 hour, 25 amps for 3 hours and so on.

My rig will go 3.5 mph using 15 amps of battery current. 4.2 if I assist with a paddle. Turning up the throttle to draw 30 amps gets me 4.6 mph with or without the paddle. Using those numbers you can see I will go about 75/30 x 4.6 = 11.5 miles at full throttle. But with half throttle and a paddle I can go 75/15 x 4.2 = 21 miles. So I seldom use full throttle on the boat, and if I am going a few miles I always paddle along with the motor at half throttle.

The reason is the hull speed of our boats is only about 4.5 mph and it takes a very large increase in power as you approach hull speed or attempt to exceed it. So electric boats are like life, those who slow down and enjoy the trip will go much longer. I hope you have as much fun as I do in your new rig... :)