Sign in to follow this  
billbo

150 mercury high performance

On saturday I was running down the lake and all of a sudden it was like I cut the key off. The just shut down. I had a hard time getting it started again. I had to choke it for it to start up. I noticed the motor did not seem to want to idle at a normal rpm. When I got it started it ran like a champ. Any suggestions?

How long from shut down to restart, could be vapor lock, or a coil problem. Both will present themselves in the same way. However a coil will start to work again after it cools for a period of time.

How long did you run it after the restart? Did it have any other problems after that?

I was a factory trained small engine mechanic for about 8 years on OPE, never really worked on outboards but the principals are the same.

Bill

Well it started right up after I squeezed the fuel bulb and choked it. The idle was low. It ran well other than that.

Sounds like you might need to replace the fuel line with a primmer blub. I had the 150 Merc on my son's boat do the same thing last fall. We were running WOT for about a mile and it shut off just like you described. We got it in and replaced the fuel line and it has run perfect ever since.

We also installed an inline fuel filter.