Sign in to follow this  
-BassMasterBling-

18 ft jon boat -HELP-

i have a 18 ft jon boat and it is about 6 ft wide and i currently do not have a motor but temporailly i am thinking about gettin a 55 lb thrust trolling motor and i was wondering if that would be enough to push it against the current.

Well, I could have this Bass Ackwards so take it with a grain of salt (hust a warning! :)).  I have always heard that it is much easier for a TM to pull a boat, as opposed to pushing it.  Or, as they say it is easier to pull a rope instead of trying to push it.

If you have an 18ft Jon I assume it's one of the big boys like those Tracker Grizzly jons.  Although I wouldn't want to be the one doing it (at least not long term anyway) a 55lb thrust will certainly pull you along, at least in the manner that trolling motors normally work.  You know, getting from place to place, while fishing.  So if your goal is just being able to get on the water to fish from it, then it would work.

For comparison I have a 46 lb thrust on my 18 foot boat.  I really wish I had more, but it does work, and for the purpose of covering the holes while I fish it gets the job done.  Now when it comes to getting from one hole to another I have the outboard.  Good luck!

i have a 19 ft pelican bass raider pontoon boat and a 30 lb thrust motor and though alot of people said i should get a bigger one  i works fine for me important part is that if u have a motor u think is too small for ur boat get a biggggg battery and try to always use 3rd gear.  hope this helps

A 55lb thrust should do fine for you. When you get above 55lb motors, your probably looking at getting into 24 volt so if you want to stay at 1 battery then a 55lb 12 volt will be your best choice.

Now, I noticed you said "against the current'. Are you planning on using it on a river where there is always current? AND, how much current?

I had 2 different aluminum boats, a 16 footer and an 18 footer, both had jet drive outboards and I used them on a river that always had current of varying speeds. I had 55 lb 12 volt motors on both and I ALWAYS wished I had at least a 65 lb 24 volt. If I was buying another river boat like those I would most definately buy a 24 volt.

I have a 16 foot boat with a 30lb thrust motor and it works fine. If I want to move quickly I max the motor out (turn it to 5) and it moves quickly.  I do have the most powerfull Diehard deep cycle battery made.

thanks guys. the current is not alot but it will be constant. i have another trollin motor that is 35 lb thrust. would it be a good idea to use both? and how long will a deep cycle battery last me?

I am not familiar with current, but since it will be running constant I would think 3 hours.  Don't run your battery all the way down or it will shorten the life of the battery.   Use about 50% to 70% of the battery.  For longer performance just parallel two batteries.

I have a 16' aluminum v with a 36 lb. all-terrain on the front.  I have fished a big reservoir for 7+ hours with it in 5-10 mph winds.  Just get at least a 29 series battery with a smaller motor.  Also, I am a bit scared of more thrust, as speed 5 would definitely pitch me out of the boat if I hit it by accident.  I actually use speeds 1 and 2 almost all the time.