Sign in to follow this  
FishingJames

Best. Kayak. Ever.

Cabelas is also hawking these things.  Interesting concept, although you can easily add outriggers to other kayaks for a lot cheaper than 1800.

I like the sit in kayak better.

Do you have one of those kayaks James? what are you compering it to?

you don't say why you like it that is why I have to ask. I will be getting a kayak in the next year or so and there is so much info and options out there. I like this one:

http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/

the model I like is the Revolution.

That's a great idea, and I'd love to be able to stand in my kayak and flip/pitch/sight fish (though I'd be wary of making any big hooksets).  But to me, the ability to reposition my kayak without having to put down my rod and reel far outwieghs the ability to stand up.  I have a Hobie Mirage Sport (and previously owned an Outback, but wanted something smaller) and the pedal propulsion system is the best innovation in fishing kayaks out on the market IMHO.  

Also, after all the modifications I've made to my Sport, I'm confident that I could make my own outrigger system to allow me to stand up if I wanted to, but I'm just not that interested in it.  There are also several commercially available outrigger systems available for all kinds of kayaks.  In short, I'd have to disagree that that this is the best kayak ever, though I do agree that it is a cool idea.

I saw this when I was researching kayaks. What I didnt like was its lack of storage. Just two small hatches in the outriggers. It was an interesting idea though. I guess you can stick a crate in front of your feet but that would be awkward and get in the way of fly casting.

There was another "kayak" that was designed for you to stand in but that one didnt give you the option of cruising or sitting in it. Cant find the site again though.

Vic

If you check out some of the kayak sites out there, a lot of guys have come up with really good outrigger designs using foam pool noodles and pvc.  

Neat concept but at 65-85 lbs it's hefty for roof top and looks like it paddles like a bath tub. Maybe for small, calm water but as an all around fishing kayak I would have a lot of reservations just based on it's specs and appearance. I'd be interested to hear some first hand info on it just out of curiosity but either way I'll stick with my Dirigo.

Cool looking boat, but I think I'm going to go with the Ocean Kayak prowler with the bassyaks trolling motor system and homemade outriggers that I can fold up.  That will be my setup if I don't get my Dad's bassboat off of him.

Do you have one of those kayaks James? what are you compering it to?

you don't say why you like it that is why I have to ask. I will be getting a kayak in the next year or so and there is so much info and options out there. I like this one:

http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/

the model I like is the Revolution.

I've got a Hobie Revolution and it's a great fishing platform.  It's not important to me at all about the ability to stand up.  A lot of the fishing I'm doing is finesse and skipping up under trees and in tight areas.  Being close to the water definitely has its advantages.  My accuracy for that type fishing is much better in a kayak.  Sounds strange, but I can put a lure right up against the bank in my yak.  The mirage drive also lets you cover a lot of water with ease.  I can easily leave other paddlers in the dust without killing myself.  When you experience the ease of pedaling against a hard breeze, it's really unbelievable.

Best kayak ever?  It depends what's important to you.