Sign in to follow this  
Ballpark Frank

Need new trolling motor, mine vanished last night.

Well, I am now in the market for a new trolling motor. Last night, both of my TMs were stolen off my boat(12' fiberglass V). I had a MN 46# Endura and an ancient MN 27#. The 46# had a Kipawa prop too. I usually park my boat inside my fence, but the past couple of nights, I have left it in my driveway next to the house. I have learned my lesson; even in a nice, quiet, well lighted community, anything can happen. Odd thing is that they left both batteries. I only want to get one motor now and think a MN Endura 40# would be plenty for pushing my little boat around. Does anyone have any experience using the 40 as primary proplusion on a 12'-14' boat. I will end up getting either another Kipawa prop or maybe a MN Power Prop.

Thanks from Frank

The Endura 40 motor is the one I use all the time on my 12 footer.  I think the 40 lb motor will push your boat along just fine. When operating at 1/2 throttle or less, the Maximizer series will more than double your operating time on the battery. But at WOT both speed control systems (maximizer and 5/3) draw the same battery current. So if you spend a lot of time at WOT go for the Endura. Wallmart sells them for about $165 on the west coast. :)

Well, I am now in the market for a new trolling motor. Last night, both of my TMs were stolen off my boat(12' fiberglass V). I had a MN 46# Endura and an ancient MN 27#. The 46# had a Kipawa prop too. I usually park my boat inside my fence, but the past couple of nights, I have left it in my driveway next to the house. I have learned my lesson; even in a nice, quiet, well lighted community, anything can happen. Odd thing is that they left both batteries. I only want to get one motor now and think a MN Endura 40# would be plenty for pushing my little boat around. Does anyone have any experience using the 40 as primary proplusion on a 12'-14' boat. I will end up getting either another Kipawa prop or maybe a MN Power Prop.

Thanks from Frank

Probably neighberhood people that you know(kids) that were too weak to grab the batteries.Hit and run tactics. Sorry for your loss.

I used to use an Endura 40 on a 14' jon, I think you'll be satisfied.  A few weeks ago I went outside to find my boat partially uncovered only to find everything where it should be.

I have a "bass boat" now with a bow mounted motor and I purchased the Minnkota quick release device, it's basically a piece of metal you mount to your boat and another piece that mounts to your trolling motor and they slide together.  The nifty part is that you can put a padlock on it to keep your motor where it belongs.

This, I think, deterred my potential thief as they didn't come armed with a set of bolt cutters to remove a trolling motor.

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss.  Good luck with the new motor!  :)

-JC

i have minnkota powerdrive v2 40# thrust with a 16' trihull and I move pretty well through the water