billmac

BASS tourney

I have had the privilege of volunteering and working the weigh-ins at the BASS college tourney in Waddington NY on the St. Lawrence river.  The catches have been unbelievable.  On day 1, a 20 lb bag (the biggest bag some of these guys have ever caught) was good for 85th place.  The average bag over 147 boats was 20lbs and the combined weigh in broke the previous record by 600 lbs (set by a field of 200 boats).  Only 2 teams failed to weigh in a 5 bass limit.  One student was asked whether he would come back, and he replied that he might never go home to Indiana.  Top 12 compete today.

• Like 1

Timing is perfect.  Bass are on the beds and it's a free for all!!

Yesterday was tougher. Rained all day but the anglers still hauled in a bunch of 20 lb bags.  The anglers are coming to the stage just shaking their heads.  Most of them have never fished anyplace like this.  It's a nice day today for the final 12.  I imagine they'll spend the day scouring beds for the biggest 5.

So will they be done tomorrow? I was thinking about fishing in waddington but didn't want to go if the ramps would be packed because of the tourney. I figured they fished over the weekend. I drove through waddington on Tuesday and the launch at the park and brandy brook were packed.

Yeah, today is the final day and there's only 12 boats on the water today.  Good luck.