Bass Junke

Good paddles equals happier bodies

Harold always post some great stuff for us paddlers and I just did a search for this topic. Could not find anything, certainly not recent. 

The Headwaters guys put out some informative stuff, yes they are ultimately just trying to generate sales, but I will listen. They often stress the value of a quality paddle. They did an entire video on paddles, eye opener. Went from planning on spending 130$ to much more.

I am getting a new kayak next year, planned on getting a good paddle along with it. 

My free vibe paddle kind of broke, aw shucks! My wife basically said get whatever you want:respect-059:

I bought a really nice paddle, I knew it was going to better but wow!!! It is night and day. Thinking now about long paddles out to good fishing spots don't seem that bad anymore. My shoulders, arms and lower back have already thanked me. 

I know everyone wants to maximize what they get in a fishing kayak and they are getting expensive but do your body a favor, save some cash for a good paddle, it might be more important than the kayak. 

• Like 2

what paddle did you end up with?

A carbon paddle with an adjustable length shaft is the way to go. They will require some coin, but they are well worth it when you move between kayaks. It's nice being able to fish from a narrow yak one day and then move to a wider yak the next without changing paddles.

I was looking at the Bending branches Angler ace classic, something like that. It was in the 130.00 range. After watching that video I ended up buying the Werner Camano 285.00. I hope I don't kick myself for not getting the adjustable Harold. In the end it was not about the extra 15 bucks, I think it was 3 or 4 ounces heavier. Going lighter. The Vibe paddle that broke was 40 oz, the Bending branches was 32 oz, the Werner is 26 oz. It feels like you don't have a paddle in your hands. 

2 hours ago, Bass Junke said:

I was looking at the Bending branches Angler ace classic, something like that. It was in the 130.00 range. After watching that video I ended up buying the Werner Camano 285.00. I hope I don't kick myself for not getting the adjustable Harold. In the end it was not about the extra 15 bucks, I think it was 3 or 4 ounces heavier. Going lighter. The Vibe paddle that broke was 40 oz, the Bending branches was 32 oz, the Werner is 26 oz. It feels like you don't have a paddle in your hands. 

Werner makes good paddles. I think my Bending Branches Pro Angler weighs 27 oz.