Sign in to follow this  
as99

need help to setup for river fishing

hello,

I need help to setup river fishing (catfish or other fished) already got some stuff but need help to have complete setup

Fishing license, rod, reel, line, and tackle for the appropriate species. A MH will catch bluegill to 50" pike. Spinning reels are easy but baitcaisters are more accurate. Live bait is for the weak. Try to imitate live bait with lures. Learn the art of the Senko and then go from there. Kayaks are great for rivers and allow for more opportunities. Wading also gets you off the bank that everyone else fishes. Good luck my friend.

There is no "river tackle" rivers, just like lakes and other bodies of water, all fish different. The Mississipi? The Potomac? The Susky? The James? Big river? Little river? etc, etc. anything from an ultra light, to heavy tackle that would be suited for salt water could be the right tackle to use. Base tackle on conditions, the lures or "weak pieces of bait" you plan to use, and the fish you expect to catch.

I use the same thing on the tidal Potomac that anglers use in nearby Lake Anna, and it is a big lake. I  do not fish for cats, but do hook one now and then, as well as a snakehead and no problem.