You can only wish Domino's or Pizza Hut had one this good, and they only take about three minutes.

DSCN0018.JPG

• Like 2

If your first pizza reference is to Pizza Hut or Domino's, you've already lost 😁

• Haha 4

How fast things change. My Dad said that my grandmother (born 1877) would roll out dough for pizza, bake it, slather it in garlic butter and fennel. Grandpa would fold this over and take it to work as his lunch, sausage on the side. No tomato was involved unless a small jar of tomato preserves went along with Grandpa. Cheese would be grated on the crust in cold weather, but not in hot weather. My Dad said that in 1946 or 1947, Grandpa saw what we now would call regular pizza, with the tomato sauce, cheese and other toppings. He wondered why anyone would make it that way. jj

• Like 3

So, you're saying theirs are better?  I've had more than a few friends and neighbors say they wish they could find a pizza as good as mine.

jimmyjoe, I do flat breads with pizza dough that are similar to what you describe.  I don't always use a tomato sauce.  My wife likes olives, slices of fresh tomatoes, red onions, and other stuffs. 

After living in Italy for six years, where pizzas are almost a staple.  That's their hamburger, you kinda get a pretty good idea what one should really be like.

• Thanks 1

While I don't have a pizza oven, I have a pizza stone and make my own dough and sauce. Certainly better than most pizza joints and definitely better than the chain pizza places.

Here's a tip for free DiGiorno pizza if you like that sort of thing. The next time you get a bad pizza from a place like Domino's, tweet about it and in the post include something like "next time I'll try DiGiorno." DiGiorno will usually contact you and send you coupons for a handful of their pizzas.