CoolestCornet99

Fishing in/ around Newport Beach, CA

I'm staying in Newport Beach, CA for a week and I would like to fish while I'm down here. I know it's on the coast so saltwater is the obvious go-to, but are there any good largemouth bass spots as well. I'm open to all types of fishing. Please give me some recommendations for saltwater or freshwater. Thank you and tight lines!

For LMB, the best bet is to go south (San Diego lakes), north (Casitas, Castiac) or inland (Diamond Valley, Perris).  There are literally no public lakes in Orange County where you can launch a boat.  Zero.  It sucks if you don't live on one of the few small "development" lakes in the area.  I do, but my guide fees are exorbitant... 😁.  Maybe @JustJames is more reasonable out at Canyon Lake (about an hour away)

Most of the saltwater fishing is on cattle boats, which I find to be as much fun as driving in freeway traffic.  Avoid the piers, they are also overcrowded.  You would be the only one there who speaks English and doesn't keep every single thing they catch.

There are alot of great things about Orange County & Newport Beach, but as a 55 year resident, I have to be honest that fishing is not one of them.  Enjoy the temperate weather, hang out at the Wedge & watch the surfers eat it, go to Knotts Berry Farm instead of Disneyland and if it is cool enough, hike in Trabuco Canyon.  Save your fishing trip for when you go to Texas or Florida.  

I’ll be off next couple days,PM me if you wanna come fish here. There are plenty of bass but to be honest, I fish more crappies than bass these days. 

25 minutes ago, OCdockskipper said:

It sucks if you don't live on one of the few small "development" lakes in the area.  I do, but my guide fees are exorbitant... 😁.  Maybe @JustJames is more reasonable out at Canyon Lake (about an hour away)

Don’t worry about that rich guy, he charge huge fee so he can live among richest in OC. Lol

• Haha 1