Sign in to follow this  
UlmPsiGuy

Converting Tiller Throttle/Steering To Stick Steer/Remote Throttle

Hi Guys,

I just purchased an old 1965 ouachita 12ft jon, and it came with a 7.5 Mercury tiller . The motor doesn't run currently, but my girlfriends dad and I are soon to get down and dirty into getting it going again. I was wondering if while we're doing it, is there a way to convert the tiller steer and throttle to a stick steer with a remote throttle at the front bench of the boat, so that I can steer from the front instead of having to move around every time I stop or go? Thanks for your help, love this forum!

I know nothing of doing a conversion like that but unless it has electric start you have to go to the back of the boat anyways so it might not be wort the money it will take

Maybe not in the purely practical sense, but I have a hard time seeing smaller objects from the back of a boat and I think maybe if I could steer from up front from a seat it would be a little easier for me. Plus, my girlfriends loves to fish also so she'll be going along alot too and could pull the rip cord for me, she's a tough little lady. That and paired with the  fact that she likes to fish for bream and doesn't like making long casts in the first place, being up front with easier access to the bassy spots isn't nearly as important to her. Plus I think it'd be a fun little project to jump into. Heck, I built an air intake for my truck just for the heck of it, why not this?

That sounds like a fun project. The larger motors have a mechanical interface to attatch a remote throttle control. I don't think the 7.5,s will have that, especially if it is a 60s motor. If you look at the throttle on the motor you will see that not only do you have to open the butterfly valve on the carb, you also have to rotate the magneto plate to advance the spark. The tiller handle probably does that with a geared interface. Most motors have a cam on the magneto plate to open the butterfly in the carb. So it comes down to doing the same job the tiller handle does, rotate the mag plate.

You can use a cable style steering, where a tiller or steering bar is mounted on the back of the motor. It just bolts across the back of the motor and provides attatchment points for your steering cables. If the left cable is pulled the motor turns left, and so also with the right cable. The cables are routed up to a double pully on the steering wheel and the left cable is wound one direction on the pully (say CW) and the right is wound the other way-CCW. Turning the wheel left pulls on the left cable and lets out some of the right cable. So the motor attatchments are part of a continuous loop of the steering cable.

Most boats now use a cable and sheath set up like the throttle cable on a motorcycle, but much bigger. The wheel turns a grear that pushes and pulls the cable in/out of the sheath. At the transom you bolt the sheath to the transom and connect the inner cable (now a rod) to the front of the motor, and you got steering. You might be able to find a used one off an older boat.

You will need some kind of a station to mount the steering wheel or remote tiller, and a throttle. It might be helpful to also mount a kill switch as well and connect it to the existing kill button wire and ground on the motor. So then if you have a sweety that can crank up the motor when you want to move, you have it all covered.

The fun part is the solving the problem in you own way. Just take your time and enjoy the experience.  :o

Wow, you pretty much started me off on what I need to look for right away, thanks! Something tells me you might work on outboards or small engines in general..I was thinking that once I had the kinks of actually getting the remote steering and throttle connected I could buy the Ez-glide stick steer, which is the remote tiller in a way, and maybe a hot foot if I feel like pretending I'm a race car (or boat) driver ;D. So where might I be able to find the steering bar that I could attach to the motor?  I'm gonna have to look at that engine to see if it has a mounting spot for remote throttle control, though in most situations for me things are never that easy. If not, I wonder if it's possible to attach something to the existing throttle system that runs to the remote throttle..her dads an electrician, he might be able to figure some way to splice it all together...this is getting me all tingly thinking about it!