Sign in to follow this  
Wr3ckl3ss

Newbie Questions :)

Hello boardgoers. I've already found some great info on this forum so thanks for that. I do have some questions though...

I recently bought a little 12-ft aluminum boat, which came with a Minn Kota trolling motor and a Marine Battery. I wanted to take this thing up to Union Valley Reservior, for a two-day camping trip.

I'm trying to figure out my options for powering this motor on the second day. From most of what I've read, these things will kill my battery within one day of fishing... so the question is, then what? I am going to buy the Minn Kota 12-amp charger from Wal-Mart but how could I recharge my battery while up in the mountains camping? Using a car outlet adapter maybe? Would it be better to just buy another battery and charge it at home to use for the second day?

Oh and I had another question too... so this little boat has built into the sides, holes to put rod-holders into, but the holes are too small for the "Fish-On" rod holders they gave me with the boat. Is there like an adapter I can buy or something?

Thanks in advance :o

I suspect that the holes are for oar locks, not rod holders.

You have limited options in regards to your battery. One thing to consider is to use a solar panel during the day and limit the use of the motor as much as possible. Solar panels are getting cheap and may really help. Can you row this boat? do you have oars? I am not sure how far or big this lake is, but if you can row a bit then use the trolling motor to work edges, etc. it may last for 2 days.

Last, are you close to a car so that you can use jumper cables to re-charge the battery with the car battery? There are several ways to do this including disconnecting your car battery, re-connect your trolling motor and run the car (assuming you can start the car) to charge the battery.

Good luck! I am sure you will figure it out.

Oar Locks... ha yeah I didn't think of that. I guess I'll have to just get a mounting kit for my rod-holders. That's not a big deal although it could be a pain cause the boat has a rail all around it, so there's no even surface to mount them to.

As far as charging off my car, I can take the battery out of the boat and bring it to my car no problem. Is there a procedure for charging off the car, or can I just do it using my Minn Kota battery charger, plugged into the car outlet with an AC adapater? While the car is running of course...

Thanks for your quick responses

I just do it using my Minn Kota battery charger, plugged into the car outlet with an AC adapater? While the car is running of course...

The problem with that is that a deep cycle battery takes several hours to charge... and if it's run all the way down, it will likely need to charge overnight. A second battery will be cheaper than the gas you burn while charging. (assuming you do this more than once)

A buddy of mine had rod holders mounted in oar locks- depending on the model, it can be as simple as changing the mounting bolt.

Or, borrow a battery from a friend if you need a spare for the 2nd day.

Oar Locks... ha yeah I didn't think of that. I guess I'll have to just get a mounting kit for my rod-holders. That's not a big deal although it could be a pain cause the boat has a rail all around it, so there's no even surface to mount them to.

As far as charging off my car, I can take the battery out of the boat and bring it to my car no problem. Is there a procedure for charging off the car, or can I just do it using my Minn Kota battery charger, plugged into the car outlet with an AC adapater? While the car is running of course...

Thanks for your quick responses

There are clamps for rod holders specially made for rails.  Check BPS or Cabelas.