Sign in to follow this  
dieselaw

no jon boat...

well i am upgrading from my little jon boat to something bigger... http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/boa/752326310.html ....i could use some advice on wether or not a oat like this is good..the price..and anything to watch out for.  just wondering if a bass boat is a headache or well worth it.       i have seen the boat it looks good, runs good, saw maintenance records,  needs just the work listed    thx

Check out that gas motor, and lower unit.  Even with service records, you need to check it out or have it done.  Maybe get the guy to take it out with you for a test run......  you may find it is exactly what you want, or maybe not.

seems like a lot of money for a 21 year old boat.

I agree does not look like much of a deal

A few things.

$3000 - 4000 for that boat is about right if the condition is very good and the motor checks out.

1. The boat is underpowered by 25hp.  Expect that boat to run in the 55 - 60mph range tops.

2. How old are the electronics and TM?

3. Given it's in the Phoenix area, what's the condition of the Gelcoat?  It looks like it's stored outside.

4. Always check the transom on a boat that old. Pay particular attention to the aluminum transom cap and how well it's sealed along with the seal job on the engine mounting bolts.  

The 184 was one of the finest handling bass boats ever made.  It drives like a sportscar even if under horsepowered.

I would definitely shoot him lower on the price.