Sign in to follow this  
jenga

Tilt and Trim problem

When raising or lowering my motor I can hear what sounds like a grinding noise.  It is a hydrolic tilt and trim so I don't know what would be grinding.  I read in the boat maintanence article that you should check the oil level.  I don't know what to do but any info would be great.

Thanks,

Jenga

A grinding noise can be very typical of cavitation in the pump caused by low fluid. Check your fluid level first.  Start easy. When you pop the cap off the reservoir  look at the oil inside and look for signs of water and or air. This can appear like a milky looking fluid, or rainbows in the oil, even froth like that of a good beer.

You may also want to try bleeding the line going to the tilt piston and see if you get any air from it.

These sign's can indicate a leak somewhere in the system. Do you have signs of fluid leaks anywhere?

Grinding can also be the pump it's self, but like I said lets start simple first. There's not a lot inside of a hydro pump that can go bad, but when they do they are costly to replace.

Bill

I took it to a mechanic and he told me that it was the motor that pushes the engin up and down that needs to be replaced.  He told me that it would cost 270 dollars.  Is this something that happens alot.  Any info would be great.

Thanks,

Jenga