reb67

Chickahominy Lake

The wife and I are going to the Chickahominy Lake Wednesday we have never fish the lake before we will be targeting bass, crappie and bream.

So we are looking for a little advice 

Thanks

Do you have a boat?

Yes I do

Hey Richard! Will get back with you when I wake up in about 3 to 4 hours!!!!

Do you have a GMCO map of Chick Lake?

2 hours ago, Sam said:

Hey Richard! Will get back with you when I wake up in about 3 to 4 hours!!!!

Do you have a GMCO map of Chick Lake?

No I don't, couldn't find one here locally. I figured I would get one at Ed Allen's when I get there in the morning. 

Chick Lake is with the Chick River map. I saw them somewhere but I have been all over the place last week and have no idea where I saw them. Maybe Fishing Pro Tech in Toano. Not sure.

Now, let's start using the GMCO map for good places to try your luck. Not all places that I know  and I hope you find a lot more, but some to give you an idea.

1.  Call Ed. Allen and find out if the grass has taken over the lake, 804.966.5368. Check out their web page, too:

https://edallensboats.com/

https://edallens.com/fishing-report/ 

2.  Call Eagles Landing Marina and do the same, 804.966.9094. No web page but you can Google it anyway.

2142 Landing Road, Providence Forge, VA.

3.  Leave Ed. Allen's and stay on the north bank to the trees.

4.  Fish mouth area of Johnson Creek.

5.  Fish mouth area of Lacey Creek.

6.  Hit from the main lake into Lacey Creek on both sides.

7.  Look for the old beaver hut in the mouth of Johnson creek, to your left.

8.  If the grass is high, use your paddle to make a few holes in the grass and then revisit them in about an hour.

9.  Fish Eagles Landing Marina area.

10. There is a bridge on the south side across the river and after Eagles Landing marina. Try to find it and if the water level is OK give it a shot.

11. There is/was a duck blind at Four Corners. Good fishing. Good current. At the mouth and right before Tonyham Creek. Was one of the best places to fish.

12. Fish the bank from the river towards Spring Landing. Wake Zone is at the end of this area. Fish the bank and look for the trees by the duck blind.

13. Go past Wake Zone to Old House Landing. This is where the river gets narrow and the snakes start to watch you.

14.  Head back to Four Corners and look for the creek across the river from Four Corners. There was an old house and shed if it is still there. Fish around this area.

15.  Head back to Ed. Allen's and fish the bank by Matahunk neck.

16.  Cypress Trees by Ed. Allen's has never produced anything but Crappie but you can give then a shot.

17. Hit anything you all like.

NOTE:  There is a bridge at the back of Lacey Creek. If the grass does not stop you, go back into Lacey Creek and find the bridge and fish it and all around it.

Hope this gives you some insight into Chick Lake. It is imperative you call both Ed. Allen's and Eagles Landing to find out about the grass and if it is going to be a problem. I have not been on the lake in a few years so my map may not be 100% correct but it reflects the places we used to fish.

Fishing Pro Tech and Hooker's Bait and Tackle in Toano off I-95 (watch your speed it is 35 MPH) are open and you may be able to get a map of Chick Lake plus some input on fishing the lake. Both tackle shops have very nice guys who will tell you about Chick Lake.

Good luck. Be safe. Have all licenses with you as VDGIF has been known to watch Chick Lake from time to time, and let us know how you all do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Sam I knew I could count on some good insight from you. I'll post how we do.

• Like 1

Jeez...you kinda got me wanting to go now too. Maybe Sunday. 

• Thanks 1

Not a good day the wind was blowing pretty bad it made very hard to find the grass edge and almost impossible to stay on it to fish. But then again I've never  fish grass like that before so in perfect conditions it still be a learning curve. We did get on a good bream bite mid afternoon and being that bream is the wife's favorite fish to eat we salvaged the day. 

• Thanks 1