Jump to content

Recommended Posts

To date, I have probably thrown a dropshot a handful of times.  Last week I fished with a gent who uses it almost half the time, which peaked my interest.  I thought, NECO, NED and Tokyo had that covered, but am wrong.  I think I have read every thread on the topic and it doesn't sound like my MB Aderminine may be a bit light.

That said, I am on a lake that seldom produces bigger than 6lbs.  I am becoming an Alpha fan and thinking their DSR, but little is written on it.  To the guys that use this technique a lot, any input on rod would be appreciated.  Thanks you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Addermine is extremely versatile but not the best dropshot rod. It can do it but no my first choie. A G Loomis GLX or NRX 822 DSR will smoke the Alpha rods with performance as well as the warranty. I would stay with G Loomis, Megabass, St Croix, Dobyns, Kistler, Daiwa, or Shimano. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Megabass Orochi XX Whipsnake 

Shimano Expride 6'10 ML

G Loomis GLX 822S DSR

G Loomis NRX 822S DSR

 

A ton of options. My first choice would be the GLX or Orochi XX. Personally like JLewis said I would skip Alpha angler. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had an Avid X Medium Light/XFast, then a NRX 852s, then an Addermine. Currently using a 2019 Zbone ML/ModFast for drop shot and it's great. The HE3 in the right action/taper would be a good candidate as well, but the NRX would be my second choice.

 

To be fair, the 852s wasn't the 'right' rod for this technique and the 822 would have certainly been better. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2019 at 11:01 AM, JLewis134 said:

 A G Loomis GLX or NRX 822 DSR will smoke the Alpha rods with performance as well as the warranty. 

BAHAHA really?  Have you ever used one?   That's funny because most Alpha Angler rods use blanks from Brad Loomis or Gary's NFC.   Most guys I know who own them came from Loomis rods.  Myself included.  I don't know anyone who's gone the other way..

 

As far as warranty goes, perhaps the immediate warranty or Expetitor program on paper but I guarantee you will have much better luck dealing with Alpha Angler customer service, through Jake or their GM.  They will do their best to help you out, if you ever (or can) break one of their rods.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bassattackr said:

BAHAHA really?  Have you ever used one?   That's funny because most Alpha Angler rods use blanks from Brad Loomis or Gary's NFC.   Most guys I know who own them came from Loomis rods.  Myself included.  I don't know anyone who's gone the other way..

 

As far as warranty goes, perhaps the immediate warranty or Expetitor program on paper but I guarantee you will have much better luck dealing with Alpha Angler customer service, through Jake or their GM.  They will do their best to help you out, if you ever (or can) break one of their rods.

Owned a Alpha (sold it after 2 outings) and much prefer my G Loomis rods. Never had an issue with G Loomis warranty. G Loomis is far superior. Alpha is a good rod but not a Megabass, Kistler, Shimano, Daiwa, G Loomis, St Croix. You won't convince me to buy Alpha. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bassattackr said:

BAHAHA really?  Have you ever used one?   That's funny because most Alpha Angler rods use blanks from Brad Loomis or Gary's NFC.   Most guys I know who own them came from Loomis rods.  Myself included.  I don't know anyone who's gone the other way..

 

As far as warranty goes, perhaps the immediate warranty or Expetitor program on paper but I guarantee you will have much better luck dealing with Alpha Angler customer service, through Jake or their GM.  They will do their best to help you out, if you ever (or can) break one of their rods.

While I understand everyone has a different preference, G Loomis and Alpha aren't even comparable in my book. I agree with Legendarybassin on this but everyone is different. G Loomis actually manufacturers their rods, where as Alpha is just taking a preexisting companies blank. Not taking anything from them but Alpha doesn't make a rod even comparable to what G Loomis/Shimano offer. Felt Alphas previously that my buddy fishes and they are good, but I wouldn't sell my current St Croix, Kistler, Megabass, Daiwa, G Loomis, and Shimano rods for them. I would fish Alphas as they are good but I think there are other rods IMO that I think are better. Everyone is different and I recommend going to you local store and seeing what you like. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bassattackr said:

BAHAHA really?  Have you ever used one?   That's funny because most Alpha Angler rods use blanks from Brad Loomis or Gary's NFC.   Most guys I know who own them came from Loomis rods.  Myself included.  I don't know anyone who's gone the other way..

 

As far as warranty goes, perhaps the immediate warranty or Expetitor program on paper but I guarantee you will have much better luck dealing with Alpha Angler customer service, through Jake or their GM.  They will do their best to help you out, if you ever (or can) break one of their rods.

The Alpha brand isn't quite known and little to no information is out on them. Whereas, the G Loomis, Shimano, Kistler, Megabass, Phenix, Daiwa, St Croix, Dobyns, Denali, etc brands has been producing rods and has built a good brand reputation from being in the industry. While Alpha may make a great rod as I have no idea, they will need to continue and build a following to enhance the brand. With little to no information, it's hard to even consider Alpha. Do they even have any dealers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For drop shot in particular you might want to actually hold the rod before you buy it. I went to the store with a drop shot rod in mind, but when I jigged it up and down as if I was shaking my dropshot worm, it didn't feel natural (like, the frequency at which the rod would naturally shake wasn't matching with how I wanted to shake it). I ended up wanting something a little longer and with more tip.

 

Of course this depends on how you like to present the bait, but if you do that slight vertical jigging which a lot of people do for drop shot worms, I would try before you buy. Just my two cents 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, VinnyR said:

For drop shot in particular you might want to actually hold the rod before you buy it. I went to the store with a drop shot rod in mind, but when I jigged it up and down as if I was shaking my dropshot work, it didn't feel natural (like, the frequency the rod would naturally shake wasn't matching with how I wanted to shake it). I ended up wanting something a little longer and with more tip.

 

Of course this depends on how you like to present the bait, but if you do that slight vertical jigging which a lot of people do for drop shot worms, I would try before you buy. Just my two cents 

 

 

Always try to get the rod in your hand if possible. I 100% agree with VinnyR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got an Alpha Angler. I wanted the DSR and Jake contacted me and told me to go with the Wrench. The DSR is for vertical dropshotting. I can confirm that the Wrench is freaking awesome! You can skip bait a mile with it as well. The lightest I have loaded it so far is a trd and 1/16th shroom head. Read the reviews of each on AA and if you are still unsure call Jake. The Wrench is probably what you want though.

4 hours ago, Efishin said:

The Alpha brand isn't quite known and little to no information is out on them. Whereas, the G Loomis, Shimano, Kistler, Megabass, Phenix, Daiwa, St Croix, Dobyns, Denali, etc brands has been producing rods and has built a good brand reputation from being in the industry. While Alpha may make a great rod as I have no idea, they will need to continue and build a following to enhance the brand. With little to no information, it's hard to even consider Alpha. Do they even have any dealers?

For me it was an easy decision. You don't read about AA because they don't pay for marketing and middle man fees. You get them straight from their hands and their CS department is the OWNER! You get twice the rod for the price. The AA website has all the info you need to get you started and Jake, the owner, can guide you the rest of the way if you have any questions. He is not arrogant at all. I asked how his rod compares to a Dobyns Extreme. While most CS will tell you it blows XXX rod out of the water, Jake said that he has never had the pleasure to fish with said rod. I got the Wrench for a steal and I don't regret it one bit. Ask A-Jay about his Slasher and watch his video of him catching his PB Muskie on it, AA's jerkbait rod and my next buy. Its a fun video to watch. Hopefully he posts the link for you to see. Knowing A-Jay uses AA solidified my buy into the AA family... which is exactly what it is. Not a business...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JLewis134 said:

While I understand everyone has a different preference, G Loomis and Alpha aren't even comparable in my book. I agree with Legendarybassin on this but everyone is different. G Loomis actually manufacturers their rods, where as Alpha is just taking a preexisting companies blank. Not taking anything from them but Alpha doesn't make a rod even comparable to what G Loomis/Shimano offer. Felt Alphas previously that my buddy fishes and they are good, but I wouldn't sell my current St Croix, Kistler, Megabass, Daiwa, G Loomis, and Shimano rods for them. I would fish Alphas as they are good but I think there are other rods IMO that I think are better. Everyone is different and I recommend going to you local store and seeing what you like. 

Why reinvent the wheel when you can sell it for half the price? It obvious that a lot of time and thought has gone into each of their rods. My Wrench has 2 different kinds of guides on it. Their business model is a lot more for less money as well as versatility. Its far from wanting to produce THE BEST and their price shows that. They have a satisfaction guaranteed policy as well. If you don't like it send it back on their dime. I doubt they have many take them up on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, JLewis134 said:

While I understand everyone has a different preference, G Loomis and Alpha aren't even comparable in my book. I agree with Legendarybassin on this but everyone is different. G Loomis actually manufacturers their rods, where as Alpha is just taking a preexisting companies blank. Not taking anything from them but Alpha doesn't make a rod even comparable to what G Loomis/Shimano offer. 

This statement is laughable.   Alpha works with Brad Loomis and NFC to develop their blanks, so how are they not comparable?   If not superior?   I don't believe Gary Loomis is involved much with G Loomis blank production anymore after the Shimano sale years ago.    I'm not going to comment on the mass produced Shimano..  I guarantee they buy plenty of blanks off others, especially in their lower ranges.   Apples to Oranges.

 

I'm a huge G Loomis fan.  I used to have a quite a few IMX/GLX and several E6X and GL2 rods, they are nice rods.  For me personally, I found the same quality as a GLX with AA for a more reduced price.   G. Loomis prices continue to escalate and for me, AA was a much better buy than my $300+ IMX/GLX rods.   That being said, the new GLX series are sweet.   I bought 9 rods last year alone and likely getting 1-2 more this fall so spending $400 on a new Loomis every time is out of the question.

 

For comparison, my AA rods "smoke" all of my IMX rods that are around $75-$100 more.   They would be comparable to the newer GLX series in sensitivity.   But for the $$, AA is a better buy.   

19 hours ago, Efishin said:

The Alpha brand isn't quite known and little to no information is out on them. Whereas, the G Loomis, Shimano, Kistler, Megabass, Phenix, Daiwa, St Croix, Dobyns, Denali, etc brands has been producing rods and has built a good brand reputation from being in the industry. While Alpha may make a great rod as I have no idea, they will need to continue and build a following to enhance the brand. With little to no information, it's hard to even consider Alpha. Do they even have any dealers?

No, they are a direct to consumer company.    Great return policy if you don't like the rod though, up to you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bassattackr said:

This statement is laughable.   Alpha works with Brad Loomis and NFC to develop their blanks, so how are they not comparable?   If not superior?   I don't believe Gary Loomis is involved much with G Loomis blank production anymore after the Shimano sale years ago.    I'm not going to comment on the mass produced Shimano..  I guarantee they buy plenty of blanks off others, especially in their lower ranges.   Apples to Oranges.

 

I'm a huge G Loomis fan.  I used to have a quite a few IMX/GLX and several E6X and GL2 rods, they are nice rods.  For me personally, I found the same quality as a GLX with AA for a more reduced price.   G. Loomis prices continue to escalate and for me, AA was a much better buy than my $300+ IMX/GLX rods.   That being said, the new GLX series are sweet.   I bought 9 rods last year alone and likely getting 1-2 more this fall so spending $400 on a new Loomis every time is out of the question.

 

For comparison, my AA rods "smoke" all of my IMX rods that are around $75-$100 more.   They would be comparable to the newer GLX series in sensitivity.   But for the $$, AA is a better buy.   

No, they are a direct to consumer company.    Great return policy if you don't like the rod though, up to you.

G Loomis has continued to improve it's offerings even after the sell. The newest GLXs are a continued improvement over prior generations. The increased cost from the G Loomis IMX or GLX is in warranty and components comparing to AA. 5 year warranty versus the lifetime in G Loomis. Also pay attention to small details, G Loomis is using high end cork whereas AA is using EVA foam. The IMX Pro utilizes FUJI K frame with Alconite inserts. GLX utilize FUJI K frame with SIC inserts. Alpha Angler is utilizing a Fuji reel seat which is good but they use an Alps SS316 guide. When I pay $250+ on a rod, I expect Fuji components not Alps... Buy what you like, but understanding what you are buying is important as well.

 

I don't want to seem like i'm knocking AA but I just want to point out the differences. Megabass, St Croix, G Loomis, Daiwa, Kistler, Shimano, G Loomis, Phenix all make fabulous products that I will recommend. The Whipsnake, K2, or GLX 822 DSR would be my first choices. You buy what makes you happy.  Enough said. Thanks 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...