Jump to content
Bransid

Help me select a Megabass Orochi XX

Recommended Posts

I recently purchased a Megabass Levante DSR, and the first time I had a fish on, the tip broke. I sent the item back to Megabass for a warranty, and they are out of all Levante rods through October, and offered to upgrade me to an Orochi for $50.

 

Here are my current setups:

 

1) Lew's Mach Crush Combo (MH/F) - currently use with t-rigs and unweighted plastics, mainly. Once new MB will probably be reserved for spinnerbaits/chatterbaits

2) Genesis II Irod Fred's Magic Stick w/ Curado K - for frogging, pitching, and light punching

3) Megabass Shakeyhead w/ BG 2500

4) Lew's Speed Stick w/ President XT 2500

 

I'll pair the new Orochi likely with either the Curado K or a Daiwa Tatula that I have. I would really like this rod to be a t-rig, soft plastic, smaller jig rod. I would likely have a light weight t-rig tied up most of the time. Considering the versatility of the DSR - that is why I initially chose it. Should I stick with the DSR in the Orochi series to fill this gap? Or, should I grab the Braillest, Tour Versatile, or Perfect Pitch? All of which (according to MB) are "highly recommended" or "recommended" for t-rigs, whereas the DSR was just "applicable" to that presentation.

 

I enjoy bottom contact stuff - but a few of the lakes that I fish frequently are pretty darn soft and silty, with tons of vegetation. Usually a weightless senko in these situations, or I'll pitch into really heavy cover with something a bit more stout. 

 

Thoughts? Would the DSR be the best rod to "round out" my current quiver? I've been forbidden by the wife from purchasing any more gear this year - and would like to round out my collection. Thank you! One thing I am slightly worried about - is whether braid to leader connection knots will fly through the guides on the Orochis. I don't always use a leader, but do sometimes tie on fluoro for clearer water presentations. I typically just go braid to lure, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the G1 EMTF, which is what the Brailest is now I believe. 

 

If you don't mind a 7'5 rod (could be a problem if you're bank fishing), it's a terrific bottom contact rod that can handle light cover. I fish t-rigs on it in deep reservoirs and can feel the taps on it really well. It can launch a weightless senko, but I feel the upper limit would be 1/2oz + trailer for jigs.

 

I have no problem with a 20lb fluoro leader and 30lb braid going through the guides (FG Knot).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Junger said:

 

If you don't mind a 7'5 rod (could be a problem if you're bank fishing),

 

I should have mentioned - I fish almost exclusively from a boat, and do not mind longer rods. I'm attracted to the braillest because of how much I enjoy bottom contact fishing - but then (and this is based off of Megabass' technique specific chart, found here) I worry may be excluding other techniques that I throw periodically - some spinnerbaits/chatterbaits, and topwater stuff (ploppers, treble hooked rapalas). Although I never seem to have any luck with spinners, or the plopper for that matter. Had I been given the option to to upgrade after breaking the DSR before I bought the Magic Stick, I probably would have got the Perfect Pitch. 

 

That said - it sounds like you would recommend the Braillest over the DSR for my purposes, and I appreciate your input.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It can handle spinnerbaits and chatterbaits just fine. Maybe put a reel with mono for ploppers, and it should handle up to WP110's. The rod is basically a 7'5 M/MH with a nice tip and lots of sensitivity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right - the Braillist's upgraded blank and increased sensitivity would certainly set it apart from the Lew's Crush Combo (which I don't find particularly sensitive), even though they have identical company-represented powers and tapers, while the Braillist is rated to throw slightly heavier lures (1oz vs. the Crush's 3/4oz).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Def. upgrade, getting a discount on MB while under trade embargo from the wife, is cosmically right.

 

For versatile and lighter lures, I'd go Diablo Spec-R Orochi.  It's a fine rod, feels almost MH, and it's my cleaner rod...when I need "another lure", I tie it to that rod almost no matter what it is.

All of those rods are going to be superb and to some degree, versatile though.  All are heavier in application too though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, FishingGeekTX said:

Def. upgrade, getting a discount on MB while under trade embargo from the wife, is cosmically right.

 

For versatile and lighter lures, I'd go Diablo Spec-R Orochi.  It's a fine rod, feels almost MH, and it's my cleaner rod...when I need "another lure", I tie it to that rod almost no matter what it is.

All of those rods are going to be superb and to some degree, versatile though.  All are heavier in application too though.

Thanks for the reply. Mainly looking to use it for soft plastics, texas rigs, and some jigs. You think it'd be decent enough for this even though the other rods are "recommended" or "highly recommended" according to MB?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

16 hours ago, Bransid said:

Thanks for the reply. Mainly looking to use it for soft plastics, texas rigs, and some jigs. You think it'd be decent enough for this even though the other rods are "recommended" or "highly recommended" according to MB?

That's just my preference based on you saying lighter lures and versatile.

 

http://www.***.net/showthread.php?t=875174&page=2&p=9070911&viewfull=1#post9070911

http://www.***.net/showthread.php?t=956484&p=9990208&viewfull=1#post9990208

 

This MB guy lists out just what you are looking for on the DSR too.  But I can find a thread on any of those rods too I bet.

 

I think MB marketing is wonky.  IMO you have to figure out lure weight/action, and taper you want, and length, to help guide you.  Diablo Spec-R to me is closest.  Actually a ML rod would be, but most of us won't go under M for LMB for versatile rod choices.

 

PP is a heavy rod, I can't see using that primarily for light texas rigs.  I use my FMJ for light lures sometimes..totally doable, but its in a pinch, I would never buy it for that primary use, personally.

Braillist at 7'5..that's too long for "versatile" to me.  I'm thinking summer bass deep bottom contact personally.  Maybe its perfect for you though, I can only give you my take.

 

TourV looks good, I'd consider that, or DSR.  I bet they both would feel great on those applications.  Get TV if you are worried about the likely arbitrary ratings.  Both are billed as versatile rods.  TV is listed as heavier action (MH).

 

Marketing-wise if they had a brallist type at M and 7'-7'2 that would be it.  But it doesn't exist.

 

Second thing you have to do is get your hands on the rod and judge based on your own likes.  That's hard to do.  But keep your packaging and don't cut off tags until you test the flex, maybe put a reel on it, and see how it feels.  Return it if you want to try again.

 

I recall having this same dilemma with Orochi, and I ended with a destroyers for bottom contact (Daemos and FMJ).  And for versatile I did orochi spec R.  I have fished everything from buzzbaits to bladed jigs to texas rigs and light jigs on it.

 

Good luck!


 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FishingGeekTX said:

 

That's just my preference based on you saying lighter lures and versatile.

 

http://www.***.net/showthread.php?t=875174&page=2&p=9070911&viewfull=1#post9070911

http://www.***.net/showthread.php?t=956484&p=9990208&viewfull=1#post9990208

 

This MB guy lists out just what you are looking for on the DSR too.  But I can find a thread on any of those rods too I bet.

 

I think MB marketing is wonky.  IMO you have to figure out lure weight/action, and taper you want, and length, to help guide you.  Diablo Spec-R to me is closest.  Actually a ML rod would be, but most of us won't go under M for LMB for versatile rod choices.

 

PP is a heavy rod, I can't see using that primarily for light texas rigs.  I use my FMJ for light lures sometimes..totally doable, but its in a pinch, I would never buy it for that primary use, personally.

Braillist at 7'5..that's too long for "versatile" to me.  I'm thinking summer bass deep bottom contact personally.  Maybe its perfect for you though, I can only give you my take.

 

TourV looks good, I'd consider that, or DSR.  I bet they both would feel great on those applications.  Get TV if you are worried about the likely arbitrary ratings.  Both are billed as versatile rods.  TV is listed as heavier action (MH).

 

Marketing-wise if they had a brallist type at M and 7'-7'2 that would be it.  But it doesn't exist.

 

Second thing you have to do is get your hands on the rod and judge based on your own likes.  That's hard to do.  But keep your packaging and don't cut off tags until you test the flex, maybe put a reel on it, and see how it feels.  Return it if you want to try again.

 

I recall having this same dilemma with Orochi, and I ended with a destroyers for bottom contact (Daemos and FMJ).  And for versatile I did orochi spec R.  I have fished everything from buzzbaits to bladed jigs to texas rigs and light jigs on it.

 

Good luck!


 

 

 

 

 

 

I think I'm going to choose the DSR. Tough choice! I will be fishing with whatever this (new) rod is, along with Fred's Magic Stick (frogging, pitching, and punching), and the Shakeyhead (which is nice to fish with for finesse stuff), the most. I will likely grab the Lew's Crush Combo last (I just like the sensitivity in these other rods and find them more enjoyable to fish with). 


Considering that, it's basically a decision of whether I want to get the TV (which would likely replace the function of the Crush entirely), or get the DSR, which will not work quite as well in heavier cover - but will throw weightless plastics fine (even though I'll probably do this quite a bit with the Shakeyhead). The question is - should I "round out" my collection, or "replace" the Crush with a better rod. I very rarely fish spinnerbaits and chatterbaits, and feel that a moving bait like this probably does not need the sensitivity that some of the more finesse-dependent techniques benefit from (like bottom contact, or a weightless worm). 

 

Paralysis by analysis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bransid said:

The question is - should I "round out" my collection, or "replace" the Crush with a better rod. I very rarely fish spinnerbaits and chatterbaits, and feel that a moving bait like this probably does not need the sensitivity that some of the more finesse-dependent techniques benefit from (like bottom contact, or a weightless worm). 

 

Paralysis by analysis.

If you like how the rod fishes (action, tip, weight, grips), I wouldn't upgrade it unless money was no object, or unless it was an enthusiast hobby thing.  A MH-F is a versatile bass rod, always great to have a few on hand.  If I like how a rod fishes, that's usually good enough for me.  The only rods I *feel* benefit from $$$ are bottom contact..and even that is probably all in my head.

 

I picked up a $69 Cadence rod for a MH-F 6'9 heavy topwater/close range, and it's a fine rod.  SiC guides, fuji seat, no threads visible (screw cap like MB!), light, looks good, split grip...what's missing?  Nothing IMO except 1 year warranty is all you get.  Fishes well alongside Destroyers.  I bought a bunch of brands, some I like, some I don't, but price other than looks/bling, didn't really determine if I like to fish it.  Reels..I don't enjoy the low priced reels as much as I find I enjoy good quality lower cost rods.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MDVDKGN/ref=twister_B07MRJFHH5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...