Sign in to follow this  
Delmonte

Advice on lights, wiring?

I'm ready to begin putting in lights in my boat, I bought 3 nice bright led lights and 2 larger lights. I also bought 2- 12volt recepticals/plug ins for spot lights. I went to radio shack and bought 2 toggle switches and basically want to wire everything onto these 2 toggle switches. Can all these be spliced together to go to the 2 switches and then to the battery? Do I need fuses? Any help on this from anyone would be great. FIRST BOAT/ FIRST LIGHT WIRING JOB. Thanks D.

post-14741-130162911505_thumb.jpg

Delmonte, the answer is yes.  Yes, they can be spliced together and run through the two toggle switches. Yes, you should use fuses.

I would recommend that you wire the three LEDs in parallel and run them through one of the switches and then do the same for the two white lights and run them through the other switch.  A fuse should be installed between each switch and the battery.

If you are unfamiliar with how to go about the above, feel free to PM me and I will walk you through it.

BTW, I assume that your boat running lights are already functional, because the lights you are planning to install will not be a legal replacement in any state of the Union.

I'm curious which RED LED's your using? And also how bright are they. I'm looking to install some red ones under the gunwhales in my boat but am looking for something with some decent brightness. Maybe some pics when your done with this project would help alot.

Bill

Bill, other than the two bigger lights, I bought these low energy led lights at Wall-Mart, they are pretty bright, but they are white and waterproof. I did'nt see any red at all. Red plastic slid inside the glass cover could work? I'll post pics soon! If I can help you in any way bro, just ask, This is my first boat/mod -Almost done! Del

Del I'm sorry, I mis read your post. When you said "I bought 3 nice bright led lights and" I took it as "I bought 3 nice bright RED lights and." Would still be interested in how you like them. I'll have to take a look at my local wal-mart.

I stopped at "Boaters World" here by Great Northern yesterday and saw some LED lights like you have, I think they were only 6 led versions tho, I was interested but was curious as to the brightness, for $16 a piece I wanted to research some more. I'm looking to install white for general illumination like when loading or unloading at night, and also red for when  I'm actually on the water. Red is so much easier on night vision.

So Let me know how it works.

Bill