Sign in to follow this  
Catt

HELP!

Ok guys I need a little help!

I have a 1996 Johnson 70 and on the right side of the block standing behind the motor there is something I don't even know what to call it but it looks like a valve stem off a tire. It has a red indecator which can be turned to adjust something; it's located ne the carbs. Anyway it leaks gas regardless of which position I put it in and it will even leak when turned counter clockwise with the engine off.

That is your primer solenoid. When you press the key in to "choke it" you are energizing the solenoid so it will let the fuel pump send gas directly to the engine. With the lever flipped down away from the top is the normal position. You flip it up to manually prime it with the primer bulb. There is an O-ring on the red piece that probably needs replacing, or the cover could have a small crack. You can buy the cover, red lever, O-ring and cover gasket from your dealer and just replace the whole top, they are not very expensive.

If you happen to leave the lever in the up position, it will massively over load the motor with fuel.

Catt,

Did what Way2Slow tell you work?

Just wondering.

Please explain the "up position" because it is either horzontal or vertical?  :)

The red lever should be vertical with the main body in the normal positon (pointed down away from the top, and fliped horizontal for manual priming.