Sign in to follow this  
mini

is this astro boat worth the money

okay new to this forum and bass boats ! here's the thing, i have a vehicle which i have about 2 grand into, i have a guy that want to trade me a 84 astro glass bass boat for it, it has a 150 evenrude v-6 year he says 85-86, also a 47? lb thrust trolling motor with foot control (88) live well, humming bird fish finder, it aint been in the water for about 1 1/2 years he said it went great when he ran it only ran it twice, says the transom is in good shape floors he will look at tonite, trouble is he is about 13 hours from me so its hard to get a look at it myself, whats the general consenses??

13 hrs for a 2,000 grand boat is a long ways.  Even if the boat is worth considerably more than 2,000, which I have no idea if it is, I would have to have an outside source tell me that it was in average shape or better to drive 13hrs on the chance I might like it.  Maybe you should call some mechanics in his area and see what they would charge to look at it.  Probably will cost you a couple of hundrerd, but could save a long drive for nothing.

welcome to the forum.

the first problem i see is you cant go look at the boat then decide enless you want to make the drive 2 times. are you going to be able to put the boat in the water and test drive the boat?

Personally, due to the distance and age of the boat , I would not even consider the deal. The first thing is that the carbs are going to need an overhaul(300.00-500.00), and unless you personally know this guy, you are at the mercy of his word. Good luck with that.

yea i hear what y'all are saying too.i think its a good idea to have someone else (independent) to look at it and give me the results, i wasnt going to go anywhere he was going to come to me with it and haul the car back with him. a little detail i left out was the car he wants that i have, is a circle track race car that i am trying to sell :)

I'm sorry I missed that you were new.  Welcome to the forums, and good luck with whatever boat you end up with.

I have a 1989 Astro that no one believes is that old but it has been well cared for and garaged. I would have him pull the boat to you, If it doesn't work out to bad. Better yet meet someplace at a lake in between. You both see what you are getting and each have a 12 hour drive.

I can't see it being worth it.  Does the guy have email?  Then he could take pics and send them to you so you can decide if its worth the travel.

If i were in this situation, like what some of the other guys said, i would have a mechanic simply check compression. If the compression is good, and he is bringing to boat to you, I would do the deal. I'm sure the boat itself (if in decent shape) is worth near $1500, if not more. Just my 2 cents.