Have a 2012 Tracker Pro Team 175 with a Mercury 60 hp outboard. Currently have the original 10 3/8", 14 P prop and with 2 people can do about 36 mph but the original aluminum prop is in bad condition. Looking to upgrade to a SS prop and seek some more speed if possible. Should I pitch up, down, or keep the pitch the same with the switch to SS.

Does it have a tach and do you know what rpm it was turning when the current prop was in good condition?  Tach readings are critical for proper prop selection.  I like my motors to be able to run at or near max rpm with my normal load.

If your aluminum prop was doing that, then the same pitch and size should be fine in SS.

I would suggest you go through a local dealer that will let you try before you buy, provided you don't scuff it testing it.  A number of dealers will let you do this if you assure him you will be buying one, and not just using his to see which one you need to order off the net.

5 minutes ago, Way2slow said:

Does it have a tach and do you know what rpm it was turning when the current prop was in good condition?  Tach readings are critical for proper prop selection.  I like my motors to be able to run at or near max rpm with my normal load.

If your aluminum prop was doing that, then the same pitch and size should be fine in SS.

I would suggest you go through a local dealer that will let you try before you buy, provided you don't scuff it testing it.  A number of dealers will let you do this if you assure him you will be buying one, and not just using his to see which one you need to order off the net.

I haven't payed enough attention to the rpms to know for sure but everyone else is seeing 5900 rpms from what i've read. Would you pitch up, down, or stay with the same pitch? Thanks 

I don't try selecting props without tach readings.  One pitch is only about a 300 rpm change, but can make a huge difference in performance.  Using someone else's numbers is a good starting point but it's still just a guess for your particular boat.  

To answer your question, yes, 5,900 rpm is a good number.

1 minute ago, Way2slow said:

I don't try selecting props without tach readings.  One pitch is only about a 300 rpm change, but can make a huge difference in performance.  Using someone else's numbers is a good starting point but it's still just a guess for your particular boat.  

To answer your question, yes, 5,900 rpm is a good number.

Yes sir! I agree. I will take it out tomorrow and pay attention to the RPMS. I have heard that SS naturally has more pitch. Is that true? Will a 14 pitch SS prop 3 blade and a 14 pitch aluminum generate similar speed and RPM numbers?

SS props are thinner and stronger than aluminum props so the blades do not fold back as much under a load and it's easier for the motor to turn them since they create less drag cutting through the water. 

Then you have a huge variety of blade designs with SS props that are not available with aluminum and different hulls responds differently.  Again, do your home work and research on people that have installed ss props on similar rigs as yours.  There's everything from high rake cleavers to general purpose low rake, big bladed SS props.  That's why I strongly suggest you talk to a dealer and go with one that's lets you try one and will swap it for another if it's not right.  

Where you should see the most gain with the right SS prop is in the hole shot, it should be better and you will probably see a couple more miles per hour.  Provided you don't go too high on the pitch. If you do, the whole shot will suffer and you can actually loose some speed, because it can drop the motor out of it's peak power band.  It takes rpm to make speed.  That's why the race boats spin the crap out of their props.

Understand though, with a 35mph 60hp boat, the difference between a proper SS prop and an aluminum prop will be noticeable but it's not a magic wand that's going to make the boat leap out of the water and run 40+ mph. 

Oh, one word of caution. Sane through all suggestions.  The natural nature of most people is to think they bought the best, when in reality, the may have gotten the worst. 

The prop is the one most critical item affecting a boats performance.  It's the one item that transferring the motors power to the water and yet most people give little or no thought into the type and condition of it.

• Like 1