Sign in to follow this  
little_stephen

kaynoe...... good buy or not?

ok, so im looking for a small, lightweight, portable fishing platform. thats not only adaptable to different situations but cheap and durable.

i think i might have found it. i rejected the basshunter minipontoons, but got into kyaks and conoes.    i think i found a good answer, but i want you guys to tell me what you think. Its the Field & Stream KyNoe. its part kyak part canoe. its a one person lightweight canoe style boat that is wide enough to support me standing up. and seems like a good deal. I want to put on a few aftermarket rod holders, and and anchor. plus sum hardware to make it easy to tie off. and possibly a trolling motor and fishfinder.......   i just dont know. the trolling motor scares me because its heavy, and it would have to be side mounted which means higher chance of tipping.....

but it seems like a good answer. even if i didnt do the trolling motor, canoes are easy enough to paddle, the motors just an extra aux. to keep my arms from tiring out all day.     what do you guys think?    worth it or not. even just in the begining. it seems like a good idea!

let me knwo!

what do you guys think?    worth it or not.

Only you can answer that question. Last year I bought a very expensive canoe; an inexpensive one wasn't suitable for a variety of reasons. However, for years, many years, I have been frustrated by the inability to get out on the water independently, i.e., not depending on invitations from two boat-owning friends.

In my second year of ownership I'm very pleased with the purchase and would buy the same boat if I had it to do over again, even though at this point the cost per bass caught is still very expensive.  ;D

But like I said earlier, our opinions don't count, only yours does. How important is it to you to be able to get out on the water?

Looking at the website...it looks like a regular canoe with a flat transom for a motor and some added adjustable pontoons for stability. It looks like it would be a handful for one man to control, especially in the wind. I've tried to fish out of a canoe and I end up spending a lot more time messing with the canoe than fishing.

Now I fish primarily from a Hobie Mirage Sport kayak that I bought a little over a year ago. For the 5 years before that I had the Mirage Outback and really enjoyed it as well, though it was a little larger than I wanted. In my opinion, the pedal propulsion system allowing you to keep fishing as you move around is the ultimate innovation in fishing kayaks. I've made some modifications to mine that make it even a more ideal fishing machine and I wouldn't trade it for any other type of individual fishing craft out there.

CIMG2956.jpg

CIMG2948.jpg

CIMG2944.jpg

CIMG2965.jpg

CIMG3014.jpg

CIMG3015.jpg

The pics don't show the Mirage Drive unit, but you can see it in action on the Hobie website. The website kayakfishingstuff.com has tons of reviews of this and other fishing kayaks and more pics of rigged kayaks. They also sell them online along with all the stuff you need to rig them. Good luck in your search!

Nice setup Bassyak! Quick question...what's the purpose of the PVC piping that's almost parallel to the yak itself? rod holders?

heres my kayak.  I like the sit in cause i fish a lot of dirty water, such as the charles river ( i love that dirty water ) and the sudbury river.

IMG_6963.jpg

u should check out some of the sit on top kayaks such as the ocean kayak brand and the heritage redfish

no no no..... lol

that kyak looks awesome. deep welled and sits above style..... but i require the ability to fish in a vertical world..... lots of fliping and pitching into distant hard to spot holes..

thats the idea with this thing.     pictures to follow..........

so pictures apparently are harder to find of this friggin thing than of bigfoot......

so here the only one i can find..... the things you guys found of the dangerous looking oversized contraption with stabilizers isnt it at all..... its a small canoe with one kayak style seat and a slick wide body

*no that isnt me, but its really the best picture i can find.....

post-14567-13016291196_thumb.jpg

try the native ultimate series, very much of both worlds kayak and canoe.  I've checked many other forums and they say its easy to stand up in

ultimate14.jpg

Ultimate_12_TEGRIS_plan_LG.jpg

P3210067.JPG

Trust me on this.....any of these "hybrid" kayak/canoes are NOT stable enough to stand in without the addition of outriggers/stabilizers attached like the ones in the picture in my previous post. I tried standing in my NuCanoe the first time I took it out without the stabilizers and let me tell you the WATER was very COLD if you get my drift. With the stabilizers attached it is pretty stable now and I can stand in it with much more safety BUT it is still not all that steady. I suppose if I moved the stabilizers more to the middle it would be steadier OR if I added another set OR larger floatation it would be steadier but then again, I should have just bought a pontoon and been done with it. There are a LOT of pontoons that have the stability I wanted for standing but the one I was looking at cost $1,000 and I kinda got sold on the NuCanoe from the website info which wasn't totally misleading on the stability issue but I say again, these things are NOT all that stable for standing up in to fish or "nature break" (into a jug/jar). That is my opinion and it is founded on actual experience. Hope this helps you out.

Simon...yes, the PVC pieces are horizontal rod holders.  I was tired of having to adjust my casting to avoid rods in the vertical holders that are molded into the yak, so I made these from PVC lined with a piece of foam pipe insulation to protect my rod handles and hold them tight.  Then I just strapped them to an eyelet already on the yak with some small bungee cords.  They work like a champ and I can cast without worrying about snagging my lure on another rod and damaging it or causing a major backlash (which I learned the hard way).

As far as standing my kayak, it's simply not an option.  It's not near stable enough without adding some kind of outrigger system.  I've thought about doing this, but the Sport is so small as it is, there's just not that much room for them and I've learned how to compensate in other ways so that I don't have to stand.  I've gotten pretty good at sidearming very short casts into tight spots, so that I don't really need to stand to pitch/flip.  I can also do some modified pitching and flipping, but it's difficult being that close to the water.  All things considered, I'd rather have the Mirage drive than be able to stand, though I do miss being able to sight fish.  But that's when I pull out my Bass Tracker.  :)

Looking at the website...it looks like a regular canoe with a flat transom for a motor and some added adjustable pontoons for stability. It looks like it would be a handful for one man to control, especially in the wind. I've tried to fish out of a canoe and I end up spending a lot more time messing with the canoe than fishing.

Now I fish primarily from a Hobie Mirage Sport kayak that I bought a little over a year ago. For the 5 years before that I had the Mirage Outback and really enjoyed it as well, though it was a little larger than I wanted. In my opinion, the pedal propulsion system allowing you to keep fishing as you move around is the ultimate innovation in fishing kayaks. I've made some modifications to mine that make it even a more ideal fishing machine and I wouldn't trade it for any other type of individual fishing craft out there.

CIMG2956.jpg

CIMG2948.jpg

CIMG2944.jpg

CIMG2965.jpg

CIMG3014.jpg

CIMG3015.jpg

The pics don't show the Mirage Drive unit, but you can see it in action on the Hobie website. The website kayakfishingstuff.com has tons of reviews of this and other fishing kayaks and more pics of rigged kayaks. They also sell them online along with all the stuff you need to rig them. Good luck in your search!

Don't you love the Mirage drive :)  I've got a Hobie Revolution and love it.  Beats the heck out of my 12' jon for quick 2-4 hour outings.  If I have 4 hours+ on my hands, then I'll take out the jon boat.  It's more comfortable for longer periods and no effort with the trolling motor.  On the Revolution I was even able to shoehorn another seat in back of me (back to back) for my 8 yr old son.  We were out today trying to outfish each other for sunnies.  He won.  It was more important to me to make sure that he caught a bunch of fish, so my primary job was to keep the kayak just off the shoreline.  Great time and perfect weather 8-)