Sign in to follow this  
MikeFromOleMiss

jon boat stability question

So i bought a jon boat.  im a long time fisherman, but first time boat owner.  my boat is 14ft long with a beam measurement of 54 inches (if i understand the term "beam" being the widest point of the boat.  however the bottom is only 36 3/4 inches.  

So is decking this boat an option or will I be fishing from my bench seat?

Does decking a boat make it more of less stable?

How high are you going to make the decking?  All one level?

I have mine decked at two levels, up front is higher and the middle is lower.  

The higher up you deck the more of a Top Heavy (rocks as you walk around) feeling you get.

look at some of the pics of other projects on this site...

I would deck it, just in levels.

In my opinion the boat isn't wide enough to put a high deck on.

You might be right.  Im thinking about carpeting some plywood for the flooring and making up some sides.  and being done with it.  thanks

36" is narrow but if you learn not to make in sudden moves towards the side you'll be fine; if not you'll be wet  :D

Mike, check this thread, it's kind of a mix of the 2 options.  The "shorty" pedestal gets you up off the seat (saving the sides of your knees from knocking on the bench seat) yet it keeps the center of gravity low

This set up, with the removable (for cleaning and storage) floors gives you flat footing and keeps your gear out of the water in the bottom of the boat (from anchor, swimming, rain, etc)

I've had just about every jon set up out there, this is my favorite.  I, personally, might put a foredeck on a 14, but I'm a very small guy w/ very good balance.

Good Luck!!

Mike, check this thread, it's kind of a mix of the 2 options.  The "shorty" pedestal gets you up off the seat (saving the sides of your knees from knocking on the bench seat) yet it keeps the center of gravity low

This set up, with the removable (for cleaning and storage) floors gives you flat footing and keeps your gear out of the water in the bottom of the boat (from anchor, swimming, rain, etc)

I've had just about every jon set up out there, this is my favorite.  I, personally, might put a foredeck on a 14, but I'm a very small guy w/ very good balance.

Good Luck!!

thanks man,  my boat is similar to yours in that the sides are very deep.  I think im going to do a similar set up to yours.  however with a 14ft, im going to put a little storage in it.  

I just sold a 2008 14' jon boat that was 36" wide at the floor.It was not stable enough for me and didn't take ruff water well at all. if ii was to get anoughter jon boat it would be 16 or 17 ' and at least 56 to 72" wideth at the beam just my 2 cents Raven