Sign in to follow this  
st00pid

alumacraft rivited jon boats

Went out and looked at one at the local dealer today. He was closed so i couldnt get a price. Does anyone own one of these? If you do what are your feelings about it? How well does the small livewell work? Also should i get the 14-16 foot. both are 48 inches wide? I'm looking at the 1448 or the 1648's. I want nice stablility and was thinking of mating it with a minkota endurance dont know what type was hoping for a little guidence there as well. Dont know much about boats. Ive been looking used but have found nothing i have liked.

I looked at those on along with the Tracker Jons. The Alumacraft will be priced higher than the Trackers. Their hulls are thicker, they have more supports running across the bottom. The one I saw with a live well, was one of those with a plug that just opened it up to whatever whater you were in and it would fill to whatever the waterlevel was outside the boat. I went with the tracker, for a few reasons. Mainly, It was the right price, I found a dealership that put together a motor, trailer, boat deal that really beat the heck out of everyone else.

unfortenly there is no tracker dealers in my area.  I just need something simple. I want to be farther and cast to shore. Not cast farther out from shore haha. I just want to be able to go where the fish go really. simple boat. decent depth finder and the wind or should i say small breeze in my face with the trolling motor.

Hey, You may be able to find Crestliner or Lowes boats where you are. I bought a new 14Ft. Crestliner with a 36 bottom. It is a nice boat. The reinforcing ribs across the bottom and up the insides is very important. It is not as stable as the 48 inch bottom, but still a well built boat. It has a live well which I use for storage.  I bought it at a dealer here in NC about two and a half years ago for $930 out the door. At the time it cost around $100 more than the Tracker 1436 with a live well. You can shop around and find some pretty good deals used if you are patient. When I was looking for a boat I couldn't find a decent one, but in a few months and even now I can find them daily for just a few hundred dollars. Sometimes they have a trolling motor and a few even a trailer.

Be patient and good luck boat hunting. Alumacraft  is an excellent

boat .

Jim

only thing i found is a 95 alumicraft 1648 with a 94 shoreliner trailer. for 1,500. If its the one i looked at today it looked new to me. But not sure i just stoped by and they where not open.

Our Alumacraft dealer does not even show the new jons online. They have package deals online but not the new ones, w/ just the boat.

I checked a lot of them out ahead of time, the best thing is to know your options and do not rush. I looked at a mess of them. The Trackers were not the roughest/toughest but for the cash I wanted to spend they were good. I also chatted with a few guys who owned them and looked around to hear reviews. They seemed good middle of the road boats. Not the sturdiest, but not crap.

Alumacrafts were more solid, but obviously you pay for it. Don't know about the others. My other thing, I was looking for a boat I could use for maybe 5 years to really see how much I liked it. if all goes well, in a few years I will invest in a nice bass boat. I just did not want to go out and start at that level to find out I loathed every second of it.

Like with any other boat, I'd go with the larger 1648. Seems like you can never have enough room to either move around or store stuff, plus the stability of the larger boat will be good. I've got a 1648 riveted Lowe and it does a fine job. It also has the livewell in the center bench and I added a livewell pump to fill up with, so I just use the floor plug as a drain now. Added some decking and storage, some electronics and such, and its quite the little setup. Does incredibly good on gas, too  8-) My average fill-up is less than $7 about once every 4-6 weeks!

-T9

I had a 14ft Alumacraft v hull for about 10 years and never had a problem of any kind. Very good boat. Should never have sold it.

I just bought a used 1448 G3 jon boat and so far I really like it. I work at BPS part time and my advice would be to only look at the Grizzly series jon if you are interested in a tracker boat. Their small jons are very light, unstable, can not carry much weight and have very little freeboard. I spoke with a tracker saleman that I know pretty well and he advised me to avoid the cheaper tracker jons.

If you can afford it, I would suggest you get the 1648. You will never be sorry that you have extra room and stability...........Al

I talked with the owner today and he priced the 1648 at 1500 and trailers from 600-1000. We dont have any big lakes around unless i want to go 2 hours travel time. My local 12-15acre ponds are within 20 min. I highly even doubt ill use the livewell but it would be nice to have just in case. I dont mind gravity feeding it and my home aquarium travel battery air pumps to keep em alive for long periods of time.

Id like to add some stuff but for now buying new im just going to have to suffer with bare bones. I just want off the freaking dock haha.