Sign in to follow this  
done

Hypothetical: getting back into various boats

So had a though recently (which doesn't happen too often so I went with it). I have a flat bottomed 1436 jon and thought, if I ever fell in or  one of my fishing buddies, HOW do you get back in without flipping or swamping the boat?

if i tried the sides I would swamp it, same with the back. I assume the bow is the only way to go, but I think I would have to use the anchor to climb up.  Have been thinking of making a rope ladder to help make it easier that i could throw off the bow (it is a square bow).

Also, was reading a thread in the fishing trip with a canoe when a dude fell in, and had some folks mention getting back into their Bass boat. So, hoping for some preemptive lessons learned here so if I am in the middle of the lake and drop in or drop a passenger I can safely get everyone back in.

Anyone?

Unless you put out the rope ladder each time you stop, then you would probably not be able to reach it once you were in the drink.  I would spend the money and put a real ladder on the back.  Another option is always have a rope tied to the bow, if worse comes to worse, grab the rope and swim until you can stand up

Newman (not going to make the Chase) 12 has some good advice.

I am going to get a ladder on my bass boat ASAP.

It is almost impossible to pull yourself back into a boat from the water.

The idea of having a rope tied to one of the cleats is a good idea, too.

Better to be safe than sorry.  :)

Not bad ideas. I have my anchor off the front of my boat, and it has a clamp on it that will lock easily. I know I could easily pull my anchor off the font and use the line from it to climb on board. i was half thinking of making a 4-5 ft line with knots tied in it that I could set up front within easy reach from say...overboard. that way if it ever did fall out while driving it could not reach the motor. and the knots would make it easy to climb up.

It has been on of those little things, that could be a big thing, that popped in my head.

The cavitation plate on your outboard would make a good step. If you have power tilt there is usually a switch on the motor. You can stand on the cavitation plate and use tilt to tilt the motor all the way up and crawl right into your boat.

f you have power tilt there is usually a switch on the motor.

If he has power tilt on a motor that is on a 1436, he is my hero......... ;D ;D ;D ;D

The cavitation plate on your outboard would make a good step. If you have power tilt there is usually a switch on the motor. You can stand on the cavitation plate and use tilt to tilt the motor all the way up and crawl right into your boat.

I have thought the same thing for my bass boat.