Sign in to follow this  
kickbasskid

Need help on getting afloat.

I am planning on asking my parents for something to get me afloat for christmas. I have a budget of 250$. I would like it to have the capability of being outfitted with a trolling motor. I cannot have a jon boat. All comments appreciated.

There is some dude that launches near where I do. He has an inflatable raft maybe 8 ft long. Somehow mounts a little pull string motor on it and tools around the lake. The motor is like 300 yrs old but it works, and he gets around and gets some good fishing.

Probably should have asked before, How big is pond, river, lake you go fishing in?

The ponds are on a golf course so I won't be using it on those. There is two about 1-2 acre ponds in my town that I might use. I also may use it on buckeye lake.

Why can't you have a jon?  I would say a 12 foot canoe with a 30 pound thrust trolling motor.  May be tough on that budget, but deals to come along.....

As long as you are not stuck on it being brand new, I would keep you eyes on some of the legit sites that sell boats. Something will come along. With your parents paying, what you might be able to do is get them to give you the cash or put money aside for you as you look for something.

If its just boiling down to space. rent a storage unit. T

The little inflatable hardbottom jobs dont cost much and might just be what you need. I just know if it was me id poke a hole in the thing haha.

For that kind of $$$s and considering your storage space issue, I'd recommend an inflatable also.  IF you aren't adamant about having a trolling motor, one of the new V-shaped float tubes (pontubes) would be another option I'd highly recommend!

my wife & i picked up a used canoe for $100, i am sure you could find a used one & a motor for under $200, try checking out craigslist around your area or even e-bay or the local classifieds, i bet you can find something. and with fall just around the corner somebody might have one cheap trying to get rid of it before winter. as far as a motor, with a canoe we can paddle faster then what one of those could move us, and we don't have a battery to mess with, and when it comes to weeds, we just glide right through em. ;D

Check out craigslist and local papers. There are always good deals coming up. If you have a problem with space then you are just going to have to get an inflatable. If you have room for a canoe, then you might as well spring for a john boat.