Sign in to follow this  
CRFisher

Used or New for person who knows nothing about boats?

I know next to nothing regarding boats but hoping if finances work out right to get a boat.  I am thinking a small Jon boat.  Knowing nothing about boats do you think I'd be better off paying more and going new or is their low risk of getting rooked on a small Jon Boat?

Wow! That's a huge question. First off everyone here could wright a 3 page paper on the pro's and con's of boat's. Ask your self how much money do I really want to spend on a boat? Than go to the internet and start surfing for boats in that price range and see what you can get. Used is probably the way to go they drop in value pretty quick.

Yeah, I figured they were the same as cars, drop in price like a stone once they're off the lot.  I was mainly thinking a small jon boat. I wasn't sure if I stood a good chance of buying some scrap metal masquerading as a boat as opposed to findng a great deal if I went the used route.   Wasn't sure what piece of mind I'd get from having a dealer to go back too would be worth the extra cost either.  

A used jon boat is certainly a cheaper way to go for a beginner, heck, I have owned about 6 boats, and I still buy used.

Most guys I know when selling a boat, if ASKED.  Will take the prospective buyer out in it,, so you can see if there are any leaks, how stable it is, etc....

If you want a deal, and considering the way the economy is....there are some steals in the used market.

It would be great if the owner would take you out in the boat, but if it is a small jon boat, for cheap, it might not be worth his time.  if he won't take you out, then:

I wouldn't buy a boat unless the owner would put it on water (at least in their swimming pool if they have one and we are just talking about a jon boat) to ensure there are no leaks.  Look for rust/corrosion.  Don't buy it if it has leaks or rust/corrosion and it is your first boat.

You can buy some ear muff looking thinks that you attach to a hose and clamp on to the motor.  I forget the actual name of them, but you can get them at any shop like BPS that sells boat stuff.  Then you can make sure it starts up good and runs good.  Ask the owner to not start it or run it until you get there so you can see how it does cranking when it is cold.  throttle up the forward and reverse to make sure it engages gears.  Make sure there is water shooting out the little "pee hole".

Granted, if it is leaking a little or the motor is a little rough, it can be fixed...but since it is your first boat and you don't know too much about them....don't get over your head.

Thanks for the advice.  I've been looking at Craigslist lately, hopefully I'll find something after this weekend that's not too expensive.