Sign in to follow this  
teh_bass

12 jon boat ***questions***

hi, well i just got a 12 foot tracker jon boat and have a 32 lb. thrust motor that actually pushes it way better than i expected it too. i was thinking of just getting a 30lb thrust which are running around $100-$109 here and making it a little faster. Since they dont allot gas motor on my lake i can only go electric.

I was also wondering how i can hook up wiring to it to plug in regular cables.

please tell me what u guys think.

thanks

WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's good to have a back up motor on an electric only lake. You won't get much more speed if any , T. motors aren't used for speed.

First of all, welcome to the forum.

I'm assuming that you are borrowing the 32 lber and are going to purchase the 30 lber?

I have probably the same 1232 Tracker boat as you do.

If you are bow mounting it, you can purchase a trolling motor plug:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_16072_200002004_200000000_200002000_200-2-4

Drill out a hole in the backside of the bow cover and mount the plug outlet into the hole with weather resistant screws. Before mounting, you may want to fish some wire through to make the connections. Be sure to use a heavy gauge wire. I ran my wiring underneath and attached it about every two feet with some wire clips screwed into the underside of the circular part of the gunnel. I just left about two feet at the rear of the boat and put some round terminals that are attached with the battery's wingnuts (I'm sure you could add some sort of direct plug here if you want, although that might just be another place to have a bad connection).

I'm sure there might be better ways to do this, but it's not that diificult to do it the way I did. Hope this helps.

-Fisher

well i was just fishing about 20 minutes ago on it.

No the 32 lb. is mine i think its as old as me no lie. Today when i went out i was trying to troll but only me that goes on the boat i weigh about 150 lbs. it was going to fast for me to actually spot baitfish and i actually saw a bass bight on my chatterbait. so i was thinking of just keeping my 32 lb. and putting the smallest possible motor on the front with a deck. Since i am the only one in the lake that fishes and the lake isnt that big but is loaded with peacock bass and largemouth.

im headin to your  house!!!

lol.

i want to catch a peacock so bad........

lol, peacock bass isnt as easy to catch as it look. I dont like to just fish for them i like to spot them then catch them.During there mating season there are about 20 just chilling infront of my house. u cant throw a rock at one and theyll just stay there

rock? i just want to throw a skitterwalk at them!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

imma make a special trip down that way next year to hunt them  and some snook. :(

yeah....thatd be cool too. we get poons up here though. not so much with the peacocks and snook.  would love to hook a good 40lb poon while out redfishin tho!! :(

I have a Tracker 1436 woth some mods in there and i run this motor: http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/SLRBM.html I got it for free (which was why I got it). It has high and low speed setting. It actually moves my 1436 the perfect amount for me in the coves on Wylie. I would not reccomend actually paying for it, it was now designed for my boat and was a PITA to mount.

However, it has 18lbs thrust and with 2 guys in the boat I was susprised how good it did.

Yes it is! Like I said though, it was free, if it was not, I would not have it. The real point i was making for you was that even 18lbs of thrust is enough to troll with a Tracker 1436 Jon with a couple of  heavy guys. In a perfect world (or when this free motor dies), I would probably up mine to maybe 25 lbs, 30 at the absolute highest.  

The thing I like about it, it uses very little battery. I have 2 batteries on my Jon. One runs lights, bilge pump, and anything I would consider critical to safe operation of the boat. the other runs my fish finder and trolling motor. I have gone out for a long time without any issues on either battery.

For the money you pay, they are good little boats. But I will warn you on the Tracker Jons, the welds on the back of the boat, on the bottom of the transom are not the best. They can crack rather easily so keep your eye on them.

im thinking of putting a Flatdeck just small one but i got some questions first if a rivet goes in the front does that mean u gotta gut the whole frontdeck just to re-place it.

When you do it, make sure you take care to ensure that you can still reach the rivets (as much as possible). With mine, i have a few wood screws I would take out of the storage compartments that would allow me to access them.