Sign in to follow this  
Sam

Suggested Batteries

I am going to replace my two trolling motor and one statrtng battery for next year and am wondering what you guys suggest I purchase.

Thanks in advance.  :(

trojan batteries are expensive but are excellent.

If you need something that is indestructable, and may be dropped, or fall over than optima's are great.  Mine has survived all kinds of abuse.  It charges fast which is great for two trip days, and holds a charge longer than standard batteries which is great for me also.

Avid,

Red, yellow or blue top Trojan Optima battery?

Which one do you use?

Thanks,

Sam

Someone gave me a piece of advice that is very logical, but I would of never thought of own my own.  Never buy a battery at the end of the month.  You are effectively losing 1/12 of your warranty when you do this.

Brands don't mean much to me.  I have tried lots and have had good results from most.

The cranking battery should match what your engine needs.  For example, if you have an opti max you need lots of cca because it has to turn over 3-4 times before it fires so 800 cca is good for that.

Trolling motor batteries are deep cycle and good ones are rated in reserve amps.  Get 200 reserve amp batteries in a 27 series and you will be good to go all day long for several years.

I finally broke down and bought an Optima Blue Top for my trolling motor battery after going through two standard lead-acid deep cycles that I couldn't keep sufficiently watered.  After each trip (and sometimes even in the middle of it) the old batteries would be dry or almost so, enough that they wouldn't hold a charge anymore.  I never figured out if it was the jostling around while trailering and running that was sloshing the water out, or it was just being boiled off by the usage, but since switching to the Optima, I've had absolutely no problems.  It holds a charge for months and months.  I've taken it out for the first trip of the season without charging it in the past 5 months and it ran all day.  I highly recommend the Optimas.

I have a 12V Power Series Deep-Cycle 175 from Bass Pro.  It's a little pricey but worth it.  I can get about 4-5 hours out of it as long as I take it somewhat easy.  Hope this helps.

I have had optima's, delco's,ect. great batteries, also had cheep auto store batteries. all worked, some better than others, but all died sometime. they all do. I run 4 batteries in my boat (36volt TM, and starting battery) I  ended up getting everstart MAXX batteries this last time. why? I look at it this way. when I am at a multi-day tournament and I have a battery go down ( they all will at some point) There is always a walmart near by, and almost all are open 24hr a day so i can always get a replaced one. no matter what Time it is. On these last ones, I am on 3 years and they are still going strong