Sign in to follow this  
brgbassmaster

winterizing boats

hey guys i want to winterize my boat here pretty soon just wondering if this is how you do it? disconnect the gas line and run that out, and drain the lower unit oil? is that all that you have to do thanks.

Some people run a fogging agent into their cylinders but I would put a stabilizer in the gasoline and go run the motor letting the motor load up on stabilized gas.  I would never run the motor out of gas.

As for the lower unit, if it hasn't been changed, I'd change it.  If it has been changed I loosen the lower screw and make sure there is no water in it.

Then I'd cover the boat and if left outside put the motor in the down position so on winter moisture can collect in the prop area.

If it is going to be for a long time then it would be best to take the batteries out so they can be recharged monthly.

Drain and refill the lower unit. Make sure the batteries are fully charged and be prepared to charge them every few weeks during the winter. Make sure all of the water is out of every part of the boat. This comes from experience when I had a through hull fitting pop after a winter. Treat the gas in the tank and run the engine with muffs long enough to get treated gas through the system. Fog the engine. If stored where critters can get at it put several cans of moth balls in varios spots to keep the critters out.

actually i did do a search  but nothing came up but thanks.